Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GRRRRRRR I'm so frustrated vx sounds like a wrx :)

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
ok so after many hours and much heartache and what feels like a load of B.S from a mechanic I am still having major issues.

The car starts fine though idles a little rough (especially when cold). When driving the car anything more than just light throttle and the car sounds like a chaff cutter. I can increase the throttle (just a little bit) once the revs go over 2000rpm however not enough to really do anything.

A mechanic (that came recommended) said it is either rings or valve stem seals (as the car was using a lot of oil and seem to be fouling number 2 plug). He then quoted me 3000 dollars to pull the heads off and have a look.

Being mechanically minded I thought well why not have a look myself so I did. Nothing seems out of place with the rings and I replaced the valve stem seals just to make sure. The car is no longer chewing through oil (thank goodness) but this still has not resolved any issues. The car still runs like a peice of camel dung. Any ideas advice help would be most appreciated at this point

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
It sounds to me that you may have a coil pack that has failed or failing.

If it were me I would get 1 coil pack and replace the one that is running the fouled plug. I would also replace the plugs and leads at the same time.
Make sure that you get the leads on the right way or you will still have issues.

order.jpg

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
This is what I first thought when the problem started initially. I replaced the dfi and coil packs at the same time about 4 months ago. I have just changed my pcv vac line, tightened up all the hoses and swapped the coil p acks around to see if another plug will fail. Will keep u guys updated as much as possible but feedback is always welcomed here

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you replaced the spark plug leads?

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
This is what I first thought when the problem started initially. I replaced the dfi and coil packs at the same time about 4 months ago. I have just changed my pcv vac line, tightened up all the hoses and swapped the coil p acks around to see if another plug will fail. Will keep u guys updated as much as possible but feedback is always welcomed here

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
have just taken it for a drive after replacing the fouled plug and the pcv hose from throttle body to solenoid........improved but stilll chugging when you push the throttle more than a couple of millimetres at idle.......as the revs increase so can the throttle be pushed down a little further but still have to drive it like a manual even though it is an auto........have swapped the coil packs around so tomorrow will check plugs again and see if it has moved to another cylinder. If so then eureka I have had a win but if not then f%$k knows

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If swapping around the ignition coils around makes no difference. Then Id be getting the fuel pressure tested, (fuel pump?), which is cheap to get done at most mecahnics etc, and if it shows to be ok, it could just be blocked fuel injectors. How often do you change your fuel filter? If its not very often, or never, then theres a good chance the injectors could be blocked up with crap. You can either get reconditioned/remanufactured injectors for around $100 on ebay, or you can get el cheapo brand new injectors again, from ebay, for around $150 or thereabouts. Id go with the brand new el cheapo ones if it turns out to be dirty/blocked injectors.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
thanks guys I have a suspicion that it is the fuel injectors.....the fuel pump and filter were changed about 6 months ago as well however I did notice when I pulled the heads off that all the injectors were black on the bottom, cleaned them in solvent and now I get a high pitch wine from around the fuel rail area when ignition turns off this whine continues for a second and then slowly disipates. I am stupid enough that when i put the injectors back in I did not take not of where they came from so I may have put number 2 injector back in number 2 cylinder or i may not (lol). I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS....

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
ok so today is the big day after all the work and frustration so far I am just waiting on the missus to get back so I can check the plugs and see whats going on..........I'm hoping beyond hope it is a simple thing like a lead or coil pack