Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GRRRRRRR I'm so frustrated vx sounds like a wrx :)

RvtRvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Lumina 3.8
Mate look at the injector leeds of the wiring harness specifically where they connect to the injectors. When I did my manual conversion one of them broke and I had the exact same problem. Easy fix to.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
It could be the plate under the coil packs. Or the fuel pump. filter or injectors. The leads can also make it do that.

Farqhed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6, VP SII V6, 76 Mini SS
i had a sort of simular problem with my VP v6. i bought brand new ngk plugs for it, ran like ****, put the original GM plugs back in and it ran normal again.

i'd also test the power at the fuel pump make sure its steady and fuel and oil filter. i've had alot of trouble with my vp. 5 fuel pumps in 6months. all replaced for free under warrenty.

Not trying to sound like a dick here but i'd rather swap the motor for another instead of paying 3g for a rebuild...

good luck

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
Thanks for the feedback and advice so far guys and yes if it comes to it I will put a second hand engine ($660 with 6 month warranty) in instead of getting this one rebuilt........Progress so far though is swapped coil packs around....still number 2 plug getting fouled up. Last roll of the dice is I have swapped leads around (number 2 and number 6) and yes i swapped them at the coil packs aswell just to see if it is a lead.........If it is then number 6 plug should now foul up however when I had the heads of and was looking at number 2 cylinder every time the I rotated the engine I would get a very thin line of oil on the cylinder wall so I am guesssing that even though it doesnt blow smoke I have damaged a ring (funny though no scoring or marks on the cylinder wall. If I havent done a ring then I guess it is also possible though unlikely that the ring gaps have all lined up for some reason.......thoughts, ideas, feedback all welcomed

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Didn't read much of the thread but 3000 for heads off on a v6?!?

WTF!!!

I was quoted 2500 for new lifters on a LS2 which is a heads off effort.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
yeah I know lot of money and I am sure if I shopped around I could have got a cheaper quote but the reality is I pulled both heads off had a captain cook replaced all the gaskets and seals and put the heads back on for $261.00 and that included buying a torque wrench. So for me it was a cheap exercise to check to see whats going on and the more I think about it the more I am sure its a ring problem but before I either rebuild the motor myself or purchase a second hand complete engine I have a couple more little things to test before I go spending any more money that I really dont have. Number two spark plug is still fouling so now I have swapped leads and am going to check this morning to see if the fouling has moved cylinders......if not then leads back to original orders and I will swap the injector from number 2 and see if i cant make the fouling move to another cylinder. After that I have to assume that it is a ring problem in number 2 and start to make the bigger decisions. Due to extremely limited funds I am tempted to remove just that head again and pop the piston out of the bore.......replace just its rings as the bore is not marked at all.....pop the piston back down, replace the big end bearings and go from there...........costs are my main concern at the moment and whilst it is great value for money a second hand motor at $660.00 with a warranty but i dont have 660 dollars at moment and not for forseeable near future so the cheaper the better for me at the moment so i may replace just the rings or even grab a piston/conrod/rings complete from the wreckers and drop the whole lot in with new big end bearings. Can any one see any short term dramas with this idea?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I wold go the second hand engine option. Then pull apart my old engine to see what was wrong and gain knowledge whilst doing so.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
yeah well after checking the plugs and doing the final tests today i am sure it has to be the ring(s) on number 2 cylinder. The cylinder is not marked at all so I actually suspect that either the ring gaps have lined up (rare but have heard of it) or lucky enough to bust a ring and cause no bore damage. Going the second hand engine option is a good but even at $660 an expensive option, if I can get new rings cheap enough I may just pop the piston out run a hone through the bore put the new rings on the piston and button it all back up again. Having just had the heads off I really only need to replace the head gasket on one side so that reduces costs there as well.