Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guard rolling a vf

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
Hey guys.
So I got new wheels and coilovers for my car installed today. The guy said the guards had to be rolled and took it down to the local panel beater but to be honest the rears look like they did before. Charged me $220 just for the rears as well!
He said because of the hole
In the guard in the middle you can't roll them right back as this will make the panel and paint crack. Has anyone else had this issue as they are not a crazy offset and if it was rolled all the way back it wouldn't scrap at all. Scrapped all the way home so was fairly pissed off. Any help is much appreciated.
Located in sydney

br77

Reaction score
Members Ride
na
Hey guys.
So I got new wheels and coilovers for my car installed today. The guy said the guards had to be rolled and took it down to the local panel beater but to be honest the rears look like they did before. Charged me $220 just for the rears as well!
He said because of the hole
In the guard in the middle you can't roll them right back as this will make the panel and paint crack. Has anyone else had this issue as they are not a crazy offset and if it was rolled all the way back it wouldn't scrap at all. Scrapped all the way home so was fairly pissed off. Any help is much appreciated.
Located in sydney
got sydney guard rolling rolled mine, no problem at all

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yep the hole in the lip of the rear guards for the Utes from the VE onwards can be a problem when rolling.

Often there will be some distortion in the panel at the location of the hole but I’ve not heard of the paint cracking but the cracking can be caused by an inexperienced operator.

All my Utes have had the lip rolled right up so as not to scrape and all of them have suffered some amount of distortion.

I’ve either fixed it myself using the paint less dent glue technique and in one really bad case I took it to a panel shop to be fixed and resprayed.

The sedans don’t have this problem.

Sydney Guard Rolling where the first to inform me of this problem with Utes before they did a job for me and I’ve used other guard rollers as I’ve moved around.

Sydney Guard Rolling has done the best job of any I’ve used but there still was some minor distortion when you looked along the guard.

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
I'm happy to pay for the paint to be fixed just as long as it doesn't scrap like it does. Was just more upset they didn't do it the way I asked and wasted my time and money. The guy I am going to tomorrow has been in the industry for over 20 years and all he does is roll guards now. Found him on gum tree called arts guard rolling. Looks like he has done mercs. When he called he said he knew about the issue and has rolled many a vf ute with minimal distortion. But I guess you would never notice t unless you are looking for it so I'm happy to settle for that and no rubbing.
Thanks for getting back to me guys

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
the guards would have needed to have been done, but keep in mind the wheels will likely be rubbing on the bumper bracket if it hasn't been trimmed.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Unlike the Commodore’s big lip the Mercs have only a 2mm lip and not a real lot of guard rollers will touch them because their machines don’t have enough to bite on.

I had my C63 done by a panel shop who rolled them perfectly with the old fashion hammer and dolly method with no effect to the paintwork.

If they heat the paintwork it shouldn’t crack.

Here is some photos of a bad job that was done on my Ute that I fixed myself.

The first photo is pretty rough and blurred and it’s meant to show the distortion where the guard is pushed in out of shape for about 4 inches with a dent about the size of a 50 cent piece dead in the middle. (The hole we're talking about is directly behind this dent.
PDR%201_zpsddmclozx.jpg

I used a 1½ inch rectangular tab glued to the panel and a small slide hammer to pull the guard out straight (it took about 5 goes to get it back in shape - I forgot to take a photo of the tab glued to the panel).

Then I used this smaller round tab to work on the 50 cent size dent that was left.
PDR%202_zpshww1dybw.jpg

After another 5 goes with the small round tab I was left with a small dent right on the folded lip.
PDR%203_zpsb7ayzzuj.jpg

I then used the old fashion method of a broom handle and lifted using the weight of the car to do the rest.
PDR%204_zpse9yu3vru.jpg

PDR%205_zpse6k4wmox.jpg

I was happy with the finish as it removed all signs of the distortion.
PDR%206_zpsdm1qdj2o.jpg

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
Wow thanks for the write up panhead! Hopefully it doesn't come back that bad. I guess my other question is I need to drive to the guy who is about an hour away and some freeway driving. Is it really bad to drive there like this or I should be ok and just the annoying sound of rubbing around any corner or bump will have to irritate me haha.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Is it really bad to drive there like this or I should be ok and just the annoying sound of rubbing around any corner or bump will have to irritate me haha.

If it's just rubbing the tyre and not cutting into it then you should be OK.

If the lip has already been turned up a little it should be only rubbing and careful driving won't hurt.

Id also check to see if the bumper bracket isn't fouling the tyre as well as sometimes these need a little shaving.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Great job Panhead!