Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guitar

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Dont listen to these guys who just use advice as a way to show off, as if anyone really cares. If they were that good at guitar, they wouldn't be on this forum.

It's simple

Before you buy one, play it in the shop. If you love it, play it with passion. If you don't, dont waste your money.

:)

Hmm... I'm a high school music teacher, I tutor guitar privately, I build and repair guitars and I currently play in a working band... Guess I don't really know what I'm talking about. :blah blah:

When you're shopping for a guitar you need to buy one you like but you also need to set yourself a budget first. No point falling in love with a $4000 Music Man or Fender Custom Shop when your max budget is $500.

...oh and I use this forum because I drive a Commodore.

by the way, you make big assumptions for someone who has been a member of this forum for less than a day. If you keep up this attitude you won't be welcome around here for long.

Last edited:

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Dont listen to these guys who just use advice as a way to show off, as if anyone really cares. If they were that good at guitar, they wouldn't be on this forum.

It's simple

Before you buy one, play it in the shop. If you love it, play it with passion. If you don't, dont waste your money.

:)

I kindly suggest that you (with a big post count of 1) take a bit more of a look at the people who actually post on this forum before you post rubbish like this.

There are many people who are very helpful with questions that aren't related to a commodore.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ

bahaha wtf is this?...............

to op, guitars really are a personal thing, go to your local shop and play around on a few and get one that feels comfortable. Ibanez have some pretty good rigs at good prices maybe a epiphone or get a warlock ;) lol

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
When you're shopping for a guitar you need to buy one you like b ut you also need to set yourself a budget first. No point falling in love with a $4000 Music Man or Fender Custom Shop when your max budget is $500.

that happens to me all the time :(

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
This one looks identical to one of my Ibanez guitars. I bought mine new in 1993 for $875. But do you really want to be mucking around with a locking tremolo on your first guitar?

I reckon the benefit of having a decent sounding, well playing guitar will give the guy more of an inspiration to keep playing. I used to play one of those guitars from a beginner pack and no matter how much I tried I couldn't get a decent tone out of the thing. I think the locking trem will be an issue initially but only a small speed bump.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Bezz, thats true but you've got varying degrees of quality in locking trems. In the more expensive guitars tremolos are pretty good quality. I've got two Ibanez guitars: a 1993 RG which has an original EDGE trem and a 1985 1010SL (Steve Lukather signature model) which I was forced to retrofit a Gotoh locking trem due to some dodgy work by a previous owner. Both are excellent quality trem but I found on the cheap Ibanez guitars the locking trems to be pretty nasty. Tremolos like the 'LO TRS II' were rubbish.

When I started I did all the tricks like dive bombs and wild vibrato but nowadays I never use the trem. My strat has the bridge pressed right up againt the body and with the Steve Lukather Ibanez I glued a block of wood between the body and the tremolo block and the tremolo block is press hard against the wood.

I also used to have a 1986 RG440 (80's Roadstar shape) with an original edge trem but sold it on ebay nearly 10 years ago. Should have kept it :(

I'd love to get my hands on a Richie Kotzen Signature tele if I had the money. For anyone who loves their Fenders, keep an eye out for a 'Made in Japan' or more recently 'Crafted in Japan'. The quality is as good as any American made Fender but half the price.

For anyone who loves their Gibsons, look out for a brand name 'Orville' or 'Orville by gibson'. Great Quality but made in Japan. However 'Orville by Gibson' guitars came out with the same hardware and pickups as the American Gibsons. People are starting to realise the quality of these and prices are steadily going up. Most guitars that came out of Japan are as good or almost as good as American guitars with lower price tags. Chinese, Korean and Indonesian guitars should be avoided if possible.

Automopheliac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais

I'll ignore the first part of your post but this I will agree with 100%.
I've had a few mates with razorbacks and all I can say is wow. Very very fun guitars to play! but they do get a bit uncomfortable :p

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Bezz, thats true but you've got varying degrees of quality in locking trems. In the more expensive guitars tremolos are pretty good quality. I've got two Ibanez guitars: a 1993 RG which has an original EDGE trem and a 1985 1010SL (Steve Lukather signature model) which I was forced to retrofit a Gotoh locking trem due to some dodgy work by a previous owner. Both are excellent quality trem but I found on the cheap Ibanez guitars the locking trems to be pretty nasty. Tremolos like the 'LO TRS II' were rubbish.

When I started I did all the tricks like dive bombs and wild vibrato but nowadays I never use the trem. My strat has the bridge pressed right up againt the body and with the Steve Lukather Ibanez I glued a block of wood between the body and the tremolo block and the tremolo block is press hard against the wood.

I also used to have a 1986 RG440 (80's Roadstar shape) with an original edge trem but sold it on ebay nearly 10 years ago. Should have kept it :(

I'd love to get my hands on a Richie Kotzen Signature tele if I had the money. For anyone who loves their Fenders, keep an eye out for a 'Made in Japan' or more recently 'Crafted in Japan'. The quality is as good as any American made Fender but half the price.

For anyone who loves their Gibsons, look out for a brand name 'Orville' or 'Orville by gibson'. Great Quality but made in Japan. However 'Orville by Gibson' guitars came out with the same hardware and pickups as the American Gibsons. People are starting to realise the quality of these and prices are steadily going up. Most guitars that came out of Japan are as good or almost as good as American guitars with lower price tags. Chinese, Korean and Indonesian guitars should be avoided if possible.

Ah fair enough, admittedly having never owned an ibanez with a locking trem, I'm going more on the small amount of times I've actually played them or by friend's recommendations. Those times I've played them however I've been very impressed, seems to be a hell of a lot of guitar for the money.

Funny you should mention the jap fenders, I've got a 'crafted in japan' aerodyne tele and I absolutely love it. Plays like a dream and build quality is top notch. Can't say that for the wiring job in it though!

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
I kindly suggest that you (with a big post count of 1) take a bit more of a look at the people who actually post on this forum before you post rubbish like this.

There are many people who are very helpful with questions that aren't related to a commodore.

He has a post now?!?

EDIT: Ohhhhhh, you meant the one in here.

bottleinspector

power starved westy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs bt1
hows that clitz tosser, ignore him newbie...anway as for the locking trems, i agree that the variances in quality do make a big difference but unless a newbie has a block mounted one ( doesnt pull sharp), i imagine it would cause some headaches, i made the "mistake" of buying a RG with the edge pro for my first guitar, was just lucky a friend walked me through the first string change real slow, on the other hand my wolfgang with the block mounted floyd rose is a pleasure to swap strings on. id just suggest an ibanez RG with the string through body fixed bridge, good value, easy to work on and fairly good tone