Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HaHa now this is funny and stupid.

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
Well hear go's, my vr dose about 30 in 1st 50in 2nd 80 in 3rd and the speed limit in 4th, I got sick of paying speeding fines, lol regards Kirk

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Are we all sure the first gear ratios are the same in the vr and vs's my vs used to do about 75 before changing and my vn used to do about 60 i've driven vr's that change at about 60 as well. But there is definatley a difference between the first gear between a vn and a vs and at least the vr i drove.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
[Dragz]
are you sure your car is stock? was it from family or sumin?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
as for blowing the speakers at 48. nup, they don't blow, tested it last night. that was with bass and treble turned up. all it did was give me a nose bleed.

no amp.

J

Joes_meat

The Pioneer head unit quote is bollocks. Most of the head units have different amps in them. Also depends on the condition of the speakers. Mine (with a Pioneer head unit) start to distort over about 24 on my Pioneer head unit with Pink Floyd, and 18 with Tool.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Joes_meat said:
GM Hydramatic 4L60-E

Electronically controlled dual-mode 4 speed automatic.

Ratios km/h per 1000 RPM
First: 3.06 12.5
Second: 1.63 23.4
Third: 1.00 38.1
Fourth: 0.70 54.5

80 kmph in first in a VR/VS is 6,400 RPM - and that's not including torque converter loss. Which would be about 600RPM at WOT.

80kmph in second is 3,400 RPM - again not including torque converter losses.

You cannot do 80kmph in first gear unless you change your diff, or modify the engine to exceed the stock redline by over 1000rpm.

Redline in first gear is 67.5kmph.

Perhaps your speedo is out?

I think this proves 80 in first is i bit of a fib.
UNLESS your car has a different diff, or you have no rev limiter (maybe it is on gas? is it?), or your rev limiter has been changed to over 6000rpm.
At what revs are you doing in 1st gear at 80km/h out of curiosity?

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
97 SEN said:
Are we all sure the first gear ratios are the same in the vr and vs's my vs used to do about 75 before changing and my vn used to do about 60 i've driven vr's that change at about 60 as well. But there is definatley a difference between the first gear between a vn and a vs and at least the vr i drove.
stock ratio is same from VN-VY

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
BT1 VR said:
Nice engine. :yeah: What the things on either side of the engine (where the strut tower would be) with the air filters on the end.

Factory setting for a VR V6 at WOT will shift into 2nd at 61km/h and into 3rd at 114km/h

These figures are from Holden's themselves, I can't compare these to my VR, due to a Powerchip Gold 98 that I have install and other mods of course.

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Murdoch said:
I think this proves 80 in first is i bit of a fib.
UNLESS your car has a different diff, or you have no rev limiter (maybe it is on gas? is it?), or your rev limiter has been changed to over 6000rpm.
At what revs are you doing in 1st gear at 80km/h out of curiosity?

mine around 75 is around 5500rpm