Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Half/Half cream equivalent

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi guys,

So I'm doing some cooking and come across Half/Half cream.
"A mixture of half milk and half cream. It has 10-12% milkfat and cannot be whipped."

Does anyone know the equivalent is in Oz?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Use extra light thickened cream which is 12% fat as far as I am aware. If your not close to a deli, just use light thickened which is 18% fat.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Use extra light thickened cream which is 12% fat as far as I am aware. If your not close to a deli, just use light thickened which is 18% fat.

Thx! Bulla Thickened Extra Light is only 12% fat.
Now I'm just worried about Curddling. Apparently the less the fat the easier it curdles.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Err get a bowl, put 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream in it? Half/Half cream mix? :idea3:

Lol. not quite.
What fat percentage would the cream be? and what fat percentage would the milk be?
half/half is 10-12% fat.
also mr smarty pants - Would you use full cream or skim milk?

Edit: I googled it. Yahoo Answers gives - "4-1/2 teaspoons melted butter plus enough whole milk to equal 1 cup. or One cup of evaporated milk may also be substituted for each cup of half-and-half cream."

I'll just got with Minux's idea.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
also mr smarty pants - Would you use full cream or skim milk?

Well... if you were needing 10-12% fat, then im sure using a combination of full cream milk, and skim, or even Paul's smarter white milk, with only two percent fat, you could establish a mix that consisted of 10-12% fat. However then you need to factor in the cream's fat content. Some heavy math will be involved.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
However then you need to factor in the cream's fat content. Some heavy math will be involved.

not really.. just use 50% of cream thats 20% fat then use the other 50% of milk with 2% fat and you will have 50/50 milk/cream with 12% fat content