Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake Chime L3 Dash

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Does the chime need to be wired into one of the dash connectors (and do I need to run an extra wire to the handbrake) for the handbrake chime to work ?

My dash briefly chimes at me when I turn the key but there's no handbrake, low fuel or overspeed chimes so is this another sign of a dodgy joint somewhere ?

Probably a petty thing but having ensured all the cluster, switchblock, heater, etc lights work I want to have the dash doing everything it should as well, including this handbrake chime.....:D

To test for handbrake chime - you just raise the handbrake when moving and it should chime instantly - 1 beep followed by 5 I think.

There is no extra wire as far as I know for this to work. The early VN's did not have a chime at all so they dont count. :)

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
I now have the Hot Engine Light and chime singing away :censored:

Do you have any idea what might be causing this? The regulator looks fine...:hmmm:

I think I should call my car 'Christine' :undead:

Last edited:

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I now have the Hot Engine Light and chime singing away :censored:

Do you have any idea what might be causing this? The regulator looks fine...:hmmm:

I think I should call my call 'Christine' :undead:

Check the PCB on the back of the cluster. The hot engine is the incorrect volts to the cluster - or the engine is hot.....

Is the handbrake switch working correctly?

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
No worries, will check both.

The hot engine light was coming on with ignition switch 'On', but engine not running. Engine was at running temperature.

Off topic, still trying to work out how give points for your reputation :p

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Found the problem: :yahoo:

One of the terminals for the temp gauges wasn't tightened, ei: not hand tight. Tested all works normally.

Fuel gauge still works everytime. :D

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Found the problem: :yahoo:

One of the terminals for the temp gauges wasn't tightened, ei: not hand tight. Tested all works normally.

Fuel gauge still works everytime. :D

LOL - done that a few times - infact today testing a V8 L2 cluster and tacho failed to move at all. (forgot to put ANY nuts on it)

I had rebuilt 7 clusters yesterday tho...

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
The handbrake chime will also "chime" if the warning globe is blown. (in a VS anyways...)

YES YES YES !

I fitted a VR L3 6 cyl cluster to my VS wagon and it drove me mad for a week or more until I read this and found that the handbrake bulb was indeed blown.... replaced it and now all is good!