Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake

Hugo92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Holden Commodore VS series II station wagon
well my hand brake is pretty ####ed. it doesnt engage when u lift the lever and even when u pull it up as hard as u can. i have just been lifting it over and over untill it does engage. also the button on the lever doesnt pop back out what is causing this problem and do i fix just by adjusting ????

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
You need to undo the adjusting nuts underneath so the handbrake cable is loose, then jack up the rear and pull the wheels and discs off to see if the brake shoes need replacing or not.

If they still have some meat on them, adjust the star wheel so they just bind when the disc is put back on and the wheel rotating. Put the wheels back on and adjust the nuts underneath the car so the handbrake engages with about 6-7 clicks.

godatfourdigital

Reaction score
Members Ride
EH Holden, VS Ute
if you remove the rear disc, before they go back on, rough up the handbreak shoe contact surface with sand paper, they build up a glaze and regardless of how much adjusting they will not work.

Hugo92

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Holden Commodore VS series II station wagon
allright awesome thanks guys i will get to it as soon as i can :)