Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake

jyothi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Can anyone guide me how to adjust the handbrake please? It's holding next to nothing!!
Thanks

jav360

Reaction score
Members Ride
1970 AMC javelin, S2 stagea
there is a handle adjustment and a lining adjustment, the handle adjustment is next to the handle behind the boot, you will need a deep 10mm socket
Lining adjustment you will need to remove the rear discs and use a flat blade screw driver to turn the teethed wheel to wind out the adjuster.

vywagon sam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
i need to adjust mine too, it holds nothing at all. what exactly is the lining adjustment?

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
any detailed threads on this. I also need assitance, as my handbrake holds jack ****

jav360

Reaction score
Members Ride
1970 AMC javelin, S2 stagea
back of the handle adjustment with a deep 10mm socket and ratchet.
remove the rear calipers and discs, clean off all the dust on the shoes.
The adjuster is at the bottom of the shoes and use a flat blade screw driver to wind out the adjuster, won't need to be much, a few full turns.
Slide the disc over the shoe so it feels like the inside of the disc is just skimming the shoe, then adjust up the the handle to 6-7 clicks and she should be sweet.
IF you got some vernier calipers that go to 20cm you can set the measurement to the correct specs which are 189.5 to 189.7mm.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You need to back off the handle adjustment a bit first, then adjust the linings, then adjust the handle again.

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
Hey guys, I went to have a crack at this over the chrissy break as I have zero handbrake useage. No probs getting rotor off, but there was no adjuster in there. The handbrake pads are mounted on a horseshoe shaped piece that looks like it's supposed to spread apart when the cable is pulled tight, forcing it to press on the inside of the rotor. I tried pulling the cable manually where it goes into the assembly and it hardly moved, s witht he handbrake shoe on its not even spreading it a all. Do I have a different setup or have I stuffed something up?
This was on the drivers side on my V6 VY2 S Pack ute. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So there isn't a little toothed wheel on a pin that goes between the shoes?

Bundy_Wal

Livin' the Bundy life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6 S pack Ute
No, that's what I was expecting to see after the comments on here but there was nothing of the sort. There's only a single part for the handbrake pad, it is a big long horseshoe shaped thing with a pad on opposite sides. A little pin that is attached to the cable pokes up between the gap at the bottom and is suppose to spread the horsheshoe apart which should push the pads against the rotor. No adjustment that I could see though.
Can prob rip it off again and take a pic if you're interested?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe the only adjustment on the VY's is at the handle then.