Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handling issues!!

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
Hi there. I live in the adelaide hills so i do a fair bit of windy road driving. I had a VN not long ago which handled prettyy good under strain. But my VS IRS has never felt as good. I have new stabiliser bar links and bushes, got new fe2 shocks all round (GMH surplus) lovells sport lows all round. Im just wondering if some of the bushes are gone. it just feels like a bit sloppy. not as much control, not as twitchy as the vn. I will be halfway around a decreasing radius corner, turn in more and it just feels like its understeering, it just doesnt want to turn any sharper. It just doesnt have the responsiveness im looking for. What are some bushes i should check and where? the car has done 280,000km so im guessing its just some worn bushes. Would worn strut tops have this effect?
Any help would be great. Thanks!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I'm with you on this one. My first VS was an exec with standard live axle suspension. My current VS Calais with IRS has never handled as good as the exec. My problem is that the damn thing wobbles. It's not a wheel balance or alignment issue. It's feel like it quickly darts left and right even on a freshly laid road. I've had the front end rebushed (except strut tops) new PS rack. I've had it back to Pedders after them telling me rebushing the front end would fix it and it dis nothing. Then they told me they have no idea. Sounds like we have a similar problem but I'm also at a loss to explain it. :unsure:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I also live in the hills and was never satisfied with my VS' handling (on Pedders suspension). It was only an exec, non IRS. I just prefer the VN steering and I seem to be more in touch with the road than when I drove my VS if that makes sense.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
if everything has been replaced get a wheel alignment check to test the camber of the front wheels, after years the strut twoers tend to sag making the front wheels ride on an angle, the only fix is adjustable strut tops.

But by all means get all your rubbers checked out before hand, could be anything from a tierod end to a wheel bearing.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Put in a good set of shocks (sorry - std issue Holden are not considered good). The Lovells should be ok. Check the bushes are all in good condition.

Reaper

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
thanks for help guys. yeh went for a drive this morning and it understeers really bad. it feels really unpredictable and sort of darts all over. i will turn a bit and it will turn sharp but then i will turn a lot and it wont turn much and roll and stuff. it differs around every corner. Only just got a wheels alignment. what is the biggest cause of understeer?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
thanks for help guys. yeh went for a drive this morning and it understeers really bad. it feels really unpredictable and sort of darts all over. i will turn a bit and it will turn sharp but then i will turn a lot and it wont turn much and roll and stuff. it differs around every corner. Only just got a wheels alignment. what is the biggest cause of understeer?

Have you given it a front end alignment? Get them to give it a bit of neg camber and dial in some caster as well. It will make the car feel more stable and turn in better. Check your shocks and rubbers too - they make for unpredictable handling.

Reaper

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

That sounds like dud shockies to me if its rolling and unpredictable.