Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic Balancer- another one.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Hi, it's been a while.

Last service, they said my engine mounts were sagging- now for the second set in 220,000.- I'll get to them when I can afford it

However today, starting the car tonight, I get this whirring/ vibration- increases under load. Came home after cancelling the tip to the footy.

Found the crack in the harmonic balancer (See photo) The engine mounts haven't sagged as much as I thought, but I imagine that they contribute to this somehow.

Will this thing be safe to drive from Mernda to Burwood to the Mechanic? I did make it home sounding like a harvester from Box Hill!
I imagine they are oiled filled? There is a bit more oil on the sump protector and engine around it- you can see in the photo.

By the sounds of the forum elsewhere and the Holden Manual it is a minor service job, and the part itself isn't too pricey. How much would I be up for for a replacement/labour--I've been going to the same dealer since it was new (I know I am a sucker doing that)? I have things like the mounts, the clock spring and ABS ti sort out so the budget is shot!!

Sorry for the long post- I could find the answers I was after.

Look forward to any help/advice

Attachments

• Harmonic Balancer.jpg
    Harmonic Balancer.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 365

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It costs anywhere from $130 to $200 or more on ebay for a new balancer. Auto shops would probably be slightly more expensive.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Yeah maybe $200 for part and $200 for labour at a mechanic, that's a total wild guess.

That is pretty much completely buggered, anything could happen if you drive that. But getting it towed is no adventure!

Keep the revs as low as possible and take it real easy, you'll get all sorts of warning lights if it throws the belt off, then it's time to stop driving and get a tow. If **** goes pear shaped you could damage crank angle sensor, radiator, transmission lines, fans. So if you hear a bad noise, stop and have a look to see if there's fluid pissing out everywhere. I reckon you'll probably make it, but it's a guessing game. Tow trucks are not cheap, unless it's somehow free with some sort of victorian road side assistance.