Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer recommendations?

c&cberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina,Vs Exec(track car). RA Rodeo 4wd.
Hi.
Iam in the process of building a race spec n/a ecotec. Just wanting to know should i stick with the standard balancer or is it necessary to go for an aftermarket one.
Cheers.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
I'm no expert, but I do know that the ecotec is externaly balanced by the flywheel and the harmonic balancer as a unit.

I would recomend you post up a few more details of what your definition of "race spec" means. The main question being, have you changed the piston, rod or crankshaft setup? or is the bottom end still stock ? as that is what will affect the balance of the engine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IMHO the OEM balancer is a average at best. If your going to the trouble of building a decent engine but a decent balancer on it. The powerbond race series balances are a decent bit of kit.

Unfortunately they only make the race series to suit the L67 now, however it can be used on the ecotec engine but you will need to get it balanced to match the standard ecotec which shouldn't be an issue if you're building an engine as it should all be balanced as part of the rotating assembly.

c&cberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina,Vs Exec(track car). RA Rodeo 4wd.
Yeah that was the info that I was finding, the race series only available for the L67. I guess no reason that it couldn't be used. As for the bottom end it will be running oversized high comp Pistons, rods and crank still standard.
Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm running an L67 type balancer on my s1 VN 3800 V6. Engine always had a weird vibration I could never get rid off, the new balancer did.

The difference with the L67 balancer is it has the extra serpentine belt drive, if it's a major concern then get a machine shop to turn it down in a lathe. I wouldn't bother unless space is an issue, a little extra mass in the balancer is actually a good thing because a balancer is (actually) a torsional vibration damper, you actually need some mass in the damper for it to do it's job properly ;)

ejukated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais L67
I'm running an L67 type balancer on my s1 VN 3800 V6. Engine always had a weird vibration I could never get rid off, the new balancer did.

The difference with the L67 balancer is it has the extra serpentine belt drive, if it's a major concern then get a machine shop to turn it down in a lathe. I wouldn't bother unless space is an issue, a little extra mass in the balancer is actually a good thing because a balancer is (actually) a torsional vibration damper, you actually need some mass in the damper for it to do it's job properly ;)

what was the weird vibration?