Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone cammed their VF series 2 yet?

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Mine goes in tomorrow, and pick up Tuesday for a Harrop H02 (224/232 114) and associated valve train upgrade. Can't wait :rofl2:

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Harrop HQ in Preston, awesome facility, great staff that gave honest advice without trying to up sell, and better price than everywhere else I inquired.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Cammed ls3 at 7k rpm....awesome.

Seems odd that it makes peak power at a lower rpm than standard. 320 is a great result though must be fun to drive

You want to rev to a desired RPM so that next gear your on the money, reving past max HP isn't an issue changing to early can and will make you slower.

Great result for pushrods lump. A similar powered turbo 6 will go high 11s at 120mph. Looking at you graph you need the shift at 6k. After that it's falling off the power.

Maybe with a few tweaks you will break into the 11s

Have you got the box tuned

Yes have had it tuned but WP did the first tune and butchered it. WSM who cammed it picked up on the crap auto settings and tuned it for the new cam but said it may need extra fine tuning and if so to bring it in and they'd tweek it for me. I definately lost some time in the shift from 3rd to 4th you can see it in one of the runs I posted on YouTube it seems to just keep reving out far too long in 3rd

Last edited:

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Cammed ls3 at 7k rpm....awesome.

Seems odd that it makes peak power at a lower rpm than standard. 320 is a great result though must be fun to drive

You want to rev to a desired RPM so that next gear your on the money, reving past max HP isn't an issue changing to early can and will make you slower.

Great result for pushrods lump. A similar powered turbo 6 will go high 11s at 120mph. Looking at you graph you need the shift at 6k. After that it's falling off the power.

Maybe with a few tweaks you will break into the 11s

Have you got the box tuned

Make sure they map before and after graphs.

Harrop HQ in Preston, awesome facility, great staff that gave honest advice without trying to up sell, and better price than everywhere else I inquired.

Awesome ozturtle where are you getting it done?

Mine goes in tomorrow, and pick up Tuesday for a Harrop H02 (224/232 114) and associated valve train upgrade. Can't wait :rofl2:

Wicked you'll love that cam and the results I'm sure! Let us know the outcome please mate

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Will do mate, I'm surprised your Walkinshaw tune was that bad, but I'm guessing they have a generic flash tune that goes into everything, rather than individually tuning each car, and it would be on the safe side to retain "warranty". My Redline had the W375 fitted prior to delivery so can't guage any difference the standard tune makes to theirs, but Harrop will also do a trans tune to get it all running spot on. I'll post results once done.

richo_00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFll SSV Redline
Is your auto or manual oz turtle? Ive got a manual with the W375 on it keen as to get a cam upgrade!

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Yes have had it tuned but WP did the first tune and butchered it. WSM who cammed it picked up on the crap auto settings and tuned it for the new cam but said it may need extra fine tuning and if so to bring it in and they'd tweek it for me. I definately lost some time in the shift from 3rd to 4th you can see it in one of the runs I posted on YouTube it seems to just keep reving out far too long in 3rd

Walkinshaw don't dyno their cars do they?
Its not surprising you got a better result with a real tune.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Walkinshaw don't dyno their cars do they?
Its not surprising you got a better result with a real tune.

Nope, no dyno tuning. A preset flash tune.

FWIW I had my VF1 tuned by WSM (via Tekno) and 100% happy both times. The first time was at ~1,000km for a bolt-on tune and it made 350rwhp/265rwkw, the second time at ~6800km for the 232/234 114 cam and it made 440rwhp/330rwkw. The cam tune was a bit shitty on cold start on real cold mornings for a week or two but now it seems to have learnt the fuel trims and now I don't have ANY issues, surging, hunting, none of it on cold start now.

I'll be sending my VY to WSM to get tuned next time I get it done. It's currently got a Powertorque tune on it (not Walkinshaw) and not very happy with the auto tune. Incidentally I've driven a few W310 packs and the auto tune on those is no good either. Bangs between gears, indecisive, won't shift back until > 90% throttle, would not recommend.