Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone had recent experience powder coating wheels?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Got some wheels that are scratched up pretty badly that I want to get coated. I've tried using the search on this forum and others, but a lot of the places either don't do it anymore or the price has drastically gone up. So has anyone in Melbourne (preferably south-east) had theirs done lately?

vx mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais
a mate had his 19" rims done and they have turned out pretty dam good think he used the bloke from freshest white walls not sure what it cost him tho

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
I had a set of 15" rims done a couple of years ago in the northern suburbs though. Cost me about $120 or $130 a wheel from memory. By the time you get tyres stripped, then rims have to be sand/bead blasted to got old paint off and then get them powder coated it adds up abit but powder coating does give a good finish. One thing to be wary of if you do go ahead is with refitting the rims for first time. You will probably have to get a blade or something sharp to scrape off the powder coat from inside the centre of the rim that fits over your hub otherwise you will struggle to get them on properly

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Call a few places mate and talk to the guys who work there. I looked around at getting mine done but I was told by more than one place that the heat it takes to bake on the powder can have sever effects on the strength of the alloy wheels. In other words they will crack easy and they aren't safe. Don't take my word for it do some research and find out for yourself.

Tap'n Like A Boss