Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have a done a big no, no?

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
So since starting to service my car myself, I have been using the service book to remind myself what I've done ETC each service… Is this in turn ruining any credibility towards a trade price or sale price in the future? I have a feeling I've just ruined it really badly… It's not messy or anything, but by not being a "registered mecahnic" I've done a really wrong thing? If you do it too, share with me! Surely I'm not the only one!

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
If you are dishonest and try to present the book as a full service history then it would likely make a difference, if you present it as being you keeping a record of what you have done yourself it shouldn't matter.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It's going to be up to whoever buys your car whether they believe you if you've been honest, I tend to go on gut / coppers instinct on things .

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Nah if you think you've missed some things or got the servicing so outta whack that you don't know what's what then simply organise a registered mechanic to go over everything, shop around for consensus, get a stamp on it, and move on #firstworldproblems

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
The log book should only ever be filled out (and stamped) by a licensed mechanic.
There is nothing stopping you from keeping all receipts and photos of any service or major works you DIY to show, along with the log book, to show service history.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
It's your logbook, you can draw a picture of a bunny rabbit in it if you like. You just can't advertise it with logbook service history when you sell it. Because without the cert mechanic stamp anyone could have written anything.

I don't get too hung up on service history when I buy cars. I think driving them and pre purchase research is more important than whats in the logbook. My ss history stopped at 70,000 but I didn't care because it drove nice and ran well.

But yeah allot of people like their service history so there us value in it

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I once bought a car owned by a tyre shop, who did all their own servicing and wrote it in the book without any stamps.
I didn't have any problems with it. At least it shows it has been serviced, I don't really care who did it as it's not exactly a hard job.

But when you look at cars with lots of unfilled pages it does make you question if it had ever been serviced on time. So I reckon doing it yourself is better then not filling it in at all.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I wrote in my book after being ripped off by Holdens in Perth for a fuel injection clean at 12,500kms old - it was not asked for and they would not release the car unless I paid (seen the South Aussie coming lol and rubbed hands together with glee)

So fill in the book I did - but after the second engine and about 200,000kms it got a little hard to fit it all in so into a spread sheet it all went. Now at 425,000kms and engine No 3, tranny No 3 and well not much else original - I can tell any body willing to pay me money for it that it's been serviced all it's life... but not by a Holden service centre .....

HowMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Thanks all! A wide range of answers! Glad to stir some conversation :) I'll be keeping track in the service book, and will never try pass it off as a "mechanics" service logs.

Cheers all! :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I keep all receipts for everything.

Last edited: