Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hazy finish look in repair

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Spray cans in colder, wetter weather don't usually turn out very well. Especially gloss colours and clears.

They have a tendency to go cloudy which can't usually be polished out. After a couple of failed attempts earlier in my painting attempts, now I don't spray if humidity is over 50% or the temperature is under 15 degrees. Having said that, I've never tried to spray a panel with a can - I've sprayed a couple of mirrors though just so that they didnt look too out of place before I could paint them with a gun.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Spray cans in colder, wetter weather don't usually turn out very well. Especially gloss colours and clears.

They have a tendency to go cloudy which can't usually be polished out. After a couple of failed attempts earlier in my painting attempts, now I don't spray if humidity is over 50% or the temperature is under 15 degrees. Having said that, I've never tried to spray a panel with a can - I've sprayed a couple of mirrors though just so that they didnt look too out of place before I could paint them with a gun.

I find that spray cans work best at around 25 degrees, I have done a few quick and cheap front end spray can paint jobs and if the temp and weather is right you get an alright finish. Good enough that non car people can't see the difference anyway.

I tried painting when it was cold once and it turned out crap.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I very good idea using a rattle can regardless of weather situation, is to stand the can in hot water to warm the inside whatever it is up before pushing the button.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
I did mine when the weather was good, I am vic so I wouldn't try in now, bloody freezing down here these days.
That is a good trick with the hot water never knew that before.

Clubby_Don

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby 1109 build number
I had the same problem on my r33..
Its moisture in your paint from applying paint to quick or the day you sprayed it was to humid..

I got the hazyness out by leaving the car out of the shed for a 2 weeks then wet sanding with 1500 and a good buff and polish..

Its very noticable because you put 3 coats of clear on and its ahowing through your clear coat

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
cant succeed if you dont start with the right tools. pressure pack cans will never look right no matter what you do. ive been a spray painter for 11 years and painted thousands of cars.

if you gave me 2 cans of 1k to do a piss out on your car, i guarantee you it wouldnt look any better than what you did...