Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

head gasket or intake manifold gasket? how to tell? bit of assistance

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
how long do you think it would take to do?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If youve never really attempted to fix anything like this before,then you should be able to easily do this in a day following the workshop manual..Theres a fair bit of cleaning to do where you remove the old gaskets from etc.If youve done stuff like this before then it will probably take around 3 - 4 hours to get it done,maybe even quicker.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Whats the best method to clean the crap off from under the intake manifold before you put the new gasket on etc?

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Your getting tucked. I can do head gasgets in 3 hours (Drive in drive out) its a easy as job and the parts are cheap. Id say get a gasket set and do all of it, Do it once and do it right. Other opp is take your drive belt off and give the water pump pully A wiggle up down and in out, If you can hear or feel it knocking around then its buggered! Do some hunting around and change your thermostat and radiator cap, Make sure you bleed it properly after, Take your time Get it Hot and heater on.
Other poses.... Heater Tap leaking, check inside the car under dash and under floor carpet.
O-ring on steel tube that goes behind/under alternator into the intake under the therostat
Hose clamps on the join in the heater hose, Some models have this join.
Do a compreson test, Oil smoke when reving out under load, rings could be buggered from heat
check oil level, is it rising as you loose water

All these things went wrong for me after Cooking my last motor, Good luck.

To clean the heads and block I used a paint scraper and a FINE big (300mm plus) square file, Clean all the crap out of the bore when you done then check the bore for scaring and if theres a bad lip at the top ( The place the piston rings reach to at the top of each stroke).

Last edited:

Jess walter

Jezzie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim
hey guys does your cars get realy hot aswell like red line hot and would you recomend replace the motor or fix the gaskets or get hole new car VZ or VE

leayr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i just done my head gaskets and machined and pressure tested the heads plus vrs kit done the labour my self cost me $360