Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headers and variable ratio steering racks

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
As title says want to know some info on selecting headers/extractors for my 5.0l vp calais and what others have done. I want to run twin cats, delete the Y piece and clear the variable steering rack. Has anyone on here used extractors for the standard steering rack on variable? I can get plenty of standard headers off ebay at a good price but will have to modify to suit my needs. Is it gonna be worth it?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You won't get the clearance needed with standard headers.

Would require more modification than it's worth to get them to fit.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
variable ratio is standard, majority of power steering racks are

variable ratio & variable speed are 2 different things and shouldn't be confused with each other

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Right well i've got the speed sensitive in my calais. What headers are people running in their statesman/ calais? How much difference will it make between 1 5/8 and 1 3/4inch primary pipes which seem to the sizes used on pacemaker etc pipes.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Not completely relevant, since it was on a v6, when I fitted a v6/manual with extractors into my old VP V8 calais with variable steering, I just marked the drivers side header with a twink pen and put a dent in the header for steering rack clearance. Worked sweet.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do a set that fits with speed sensitive steering. $495 shipped. Dual outlet to suit twin cats.