Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight Cover Replacement

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks everyone. I am talking about the actual headlight which I now know needs replacing wholly. Wish i
could send the bill to that bloody kangaroo.
Just be warned that aiming the headlamps correctly after replacement requires that the front panel that the headlamp bolts to to be absolutely undamaged.

Post up a picture and forum members can speculate whether the repair cost will be greater than the insurance excess… As @mpower says, the repair cost will likely tip it over the edge making an insurance claim worth it (as as most have lifetime guarantee that is a bonus).

Just note a genuine headlamp is around $300 new and I’d expect “remove and replace” would be about the same if not a bit more… which puts it around the cost of most peoples insurance excess… And that’s assuming nothing is bent, scratched or needing paint which is a tall order given the headlamp polycarbonate lens is broken (which is not easy to do without damaging other bits).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
they will also need to remove and replace the bumper cover too afaik.

Genuine headlamps are closer to $600, aftermarket is sitting around the $300 mark.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Just note a genuine headlamp is around $300 new and I’d expect “remove and replace” would be about the same if not a bit more… which puts it around the cost of most peoples insurance excess…
Genuine headlamps are closer to $600, aftermarket is sitting around the $300 mark.
Just a comment on that excess & the $600 for genuine, also consider whether you lose any no-claim-bonus, not everyone has a "protected for life" NCB. Also if your insurance company insists on managing the process & assigning the job to their dodgy repairer (a) maybe consider switching insurers and (b) it's worth considering paying so you don't get the used AND aftermarket headlight fitted.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Just an update on the replacement light for my VF2 SSV. My mechanic informed me yesterday that a genuine replacement light from Holden will cost $850 (yes that's right, not a misprint) but he can get an aftermarket one, certified for insurance purposes, for $340. No need to tell you which one I went with. Including his labour cost the total cost is far less than my insurance excess for broken glass of $700.
Merv

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Including his labour cost the total cost is far less than my insurance excess for broken glass of $700.
I don't suppose the excess for Other Stuff is less than $700, and you could ask then why you're paying a "broken glass" excess for replacement of plastic parts?

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Genuine replacement light from Holden will cost $850 (yes that's right, not a misprint) but he can get an aftermarket one, certified for insurance purposes, for $340.

That's taking the piss

They can easily be had cheaper (Genuine OEM). Original Parts group has them for $649 each on eBay. Currently eBay plus members can get them for $629. Original Parts group is a seller that's included in eBays frequent eBay plus sales (up to 22% off)

Got both OEM replacements for just on $900 on sale, that's for both

Is your mechanic able to source from OPG? They have a dedicated standalone website, and also sell genuine OEM parts. Can save a fair bit there.

The aftermarket ones will be made by TYC. I considered these when I was looking to replace mine, however I came across comments that mentioned they dont have as good sealing as OEM (hence condensation in the lamp), nor is their UV protection coating as good (And OEM isn't great to begin with), leading to UV crazing/yellowing faster

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Hi Guys
I just turned the headlights on in the garage and where the lights show up on the wall the right light (the new one) is a fair bit higher than the left light. Is this normal? If not is it easy for a mechanical mug like me to make an adjustment and if so how is it done. How do you know how high or low the lights should be.
Thanks Merv

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Further to my last post, I can't find anything in my user manual about this. My car is a VF2 SSV. If there is something in the manual can you direct me to the page number
Thanks
Merv

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If you can’t find the adjustment screw then back to the person that put it in for you.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Just be warned that aiming the headlamps correctly after replacement requires that the front panel that the headlamp bolts to to be absolutely undamaged.

Post up a picture and forum members can speculate whether the repair cost will be greater than the insurance excess… As @mpower says, the repair cost will likely tip it over the edge making an insurance claim worth it (as as most have lifetime guarantee that is a bonus).

Just note a genuine headlamp is around $300 new and I’d expect “remove and replace” would be about the same if not a bit more… which puts it around the cost of most peoples insurance excess… And that’s assuming nothing is bent, scratched or needing paint which is a tall order given the headlamp polycarbonate lens is broken (which is not easy to do without damaging other bits).
Skylarking, me being a mechanical dunce is there any chance you could post a pic showing the location of the up/down headlight adjustment screw. I assume the light on your motorsport would be the same as mine on my VF2 SSV.
Thanks
Merv