Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headlight warning

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I also have this problem and im planning on putting a simple SPST relay inline with the headlight switch, and just using an accessories feed to switch the coil. so they will turn off automatically when the key is taken out and return if accessories is switched on.

I couldnt think of any situation where i would want the lights on without the key in the ignition.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
I also have this problem and im planning on putting a simple SPST relay inline with the headlight switch, and just using an accessories feed to switch the coil. so they will turn off automatically when the key is taken out and return if accessories is switched on.

I couldnt think of any situation where i would want the lights on without the key in the ignition.

can you send me the wiring diagram for this???...i like this idea!

-George

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Ok for you that wanted the wiring diagram, here it is.

hlightrelay.jpg

1. Disconnect your negative battery terminal
2. Remove the headlight switch block from the instrument cluster
3. Cut the Orange(white trace) wire.
4. Lengthen the wires (if needed) to wherever you place your relay.
5. Splice into a suitable fused 12V+ accessories source and run the wire to the relay.
6. Strip the wires back and crimp female spade connectors to them
7. Get another length of wire and find a suitable earthing locating. Crimp a ring terminal to one side and female spade to the other.
8. Connect the wires up to the relay as pictured in the diagram.
9. Insulate all wire joins with electrical tape or heat shrink.
10. Tidy wires up and re-install headlight switch block.
11. Reconnect Neg battery terminal.
12. Test that everything works.
13. Have a beer and admire your work.

I shall be attempting this soon and if i can take photos along the way i might make a proper how-to.

cheers.

peter65

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp exec
vn6pwr.... nice work... simple cct & a great idea. Funny thing about all this is why dont the lights turn off automatically when the ignition is turned off?

the headlight warning light in my vp exec is so dim you can barely see it in daylight (when you need it most!). A $1 factory buzzer instead of the stupid light would have been far better but i guess thats for higher spec cars only....

cheers. pete

XTC16

Certified Wise
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foot Falcon
I thought the stnd feature on the VS was when the lights are on and the drivers door is opened they turn off automatically ... mine does .... beats an annoying buzzer

Anyone answer this one??

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Anyone answer this one??

It sure is a standard feature but i was asking the question regarding my VP not a VS

peter65

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp exec
...the auto switch off is not on my Series 1 VP exec... the poverty pack... it has the warning light on the dash (that you cant see in the daylight, when you need it, but is bright at night - when you normally dont!) cheers pete