Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

heat problem - runs fine, starts to misfire then dies

mgvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 1987
I have a 1987 Vl 3.0

Over the last few months, it starts fine cold, runs okay for say 20 minutes, starts to misfire and then dies. Leave it for a few hours and the same thing happens - also no spark when it dies.

Sometimes it will get me home on what seems like about 2-3 cylinders. Other times it seems to clear up and the engine runs fine again for a while.

On board computer code reads 44, so thats sweet. No other errors.

I have swapped the dizzy and transistor (2nd hand), leads and checked all the plugs - I have even remounted the transistsor in case it was a heat related issue.

Fuel pressen seems okaybut I have not changd the fuel filter (about 3 years old, less than 5000 kms anyway)

Compression is around 170 on all cylinders.

Any hints ?

Can you get the dizzy insides as parts and where ?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
dizzy about $100 exchange at the auto leks

mgvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 1987
fixed

Oil in the distributor causing the CAS to misfire and then stop (when the oil covered the light sensors, disk)

Another problem I found was a light show on the spark leads, even though they are less than 12 months old (Repco). I suspect this is causing the misfiring at idle.

R

rattattack1313

mgvl said:
Oil in the distributor causing the CAS to misfire and then stop (when the oil covered the light sensors, disk)

Another problem I found was a light show on the spark leads, even though they are less than 12 months old (Repco). I suspect this is causing the misfiring at idle.
start your car in the dark...see which leads have sparks running along them...replace......laugh........a spray of WD40 gets rid of most of the oil in there......

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
if all else fails look to the coil. it can do some strange things.