Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hello and Thoughts on VE SS upgrade options.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Hello

My name is Tony and I own a 2008 VE SS wagon. I live in Canberra and was born and raised here. Yes I know, why the hell would you still live in Canberra? I ask myself that question every day.

I am 40 this year and decided that I wanted to own a V8 again after I was forced to sell my Original VC HDT Commodore many years ago as a young parent with a mortgage.
Selling that car was one of my biggest regrets in life but gotta move on. As a constant reminder of her I have a photo of her as my Avatar in many of the forums I frequent.

My passion is music and hunting. I have been playing guitar since I was 11 and hunting since I was 5, tagging along with my old man and uncle. I don't get many hunts in these days due to work and music but when I get a chance I am out the door and walking the hills chasing Foxes and Rabbits mostly. I never get tired of it.

So, Since buying my VE SS in November I knew straight away there were things that needed upgrading. Firstly I wanted the breaks done as I felt they were lacking. I have chosen to go the Redlind route so I have a set to 2012 Redline wheels now and am getting all the parts needed to get that sorted.

So now I am looking to the exhaust/CAI and tune. After reading countless threats on this forum I think I might be more confused than ever. So I made a call to Gentech here in CBR and spoke to them about my Car. He recommended I go for the Walkinshaw W310 pack that consists of a full exhaust, OTR CAI or Side Pod CAI and a tune. When he told me the cost I almost choked. $6495. That sounds VERY expensive. He did say that the Walkinshaw exhaust uses the DiFilipo system and Ceramic coated headers. He also said because I have a sports wagon I need that system to stop drone. Even though I have a manual he said due to the spare wheel well it will drive you mental.

So, when I look at the cost I honestly can justify spend that on a car these days. Now I can do a lot of the work myself. I will be doing the breaks myself and I could easily fit a CAI. But I can't do the rest. Surely there has to be a cheaper yet just as good an option as the Walkie upgrade. I'm hoping there are some locals that have done this to their cars that can gice me some advice on the matter.

You guys are an incredible wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
You can do all of that for a lot cheaper. You've got a wagon so yes that guy is right about drone. Source and exhaust from either Not_An_Abba_Fan who is a sponsor here or a KPM one, KPM's a bit more expensive but guarantees no drone. OTR can be had for about $500, second hand probably $300 and tune would be around $1000. So that'd be around $5500 max I think.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
If you can do the brakes yourself you clearly have some tool ability then I reckon you could fit extractors, cats and an exhaust yourself too. I recently helped a mate do his full KPM system and it was fairly easy.

Learn from everyones elses mistakes. The best OTR in the business is the Duspeed (look him up) - that will cost you about 600 delivered and painted in whatever colour you want with instructions for fitment (also easy). If your happy to pay the coin for a definitely non droning and awesome sounding system then get the KPM 1&3/4 extractors (they use pacemaker) and the 2.5 inch system. I can tell you from fitting one recently that the workmanship and quality of the exhaust is like nothing i have ever seen before, it blows my pacemaker system out of the water, sounds like thunder and lightening all in one but that noise is completely out of the tips, there is no boominess or drone in the cabin whatsoever. if you want to drive it quiet, you can and you barely know there is an exhaust on but when you open the taps....... I actually cant believe how good my mates is, if i was doing mine again it would be KPM all the way. If you want a cheaper option however, I wouldnt go past Hurricane extractors and system. I have the hurricane headers myself and they are great. Regarding tuning, i'm about to get a cam and a retune and mate honestly, most "tuners" rubbish. Drive up to sydney with all your stuff fitted and get it tuned at Sams Performance and get it done right the first time.

I know many ppl wont agree and bugdets often govern what can be done but i'm just trying to help you not fall into the traps i did.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Its interesting also how many VF redlines or SS's are for sale privately already with all the stuff done including a 231/239 camshaft for example and they are selling due to a "change in circumstances"........the real reason is that they ####ed their car with a stupidly large camshaft and now it drives like a dog under 3,000rpm. And its not the punters fault, its the fault of the dick in the workshop that said oh mate if your going to fit a cam you need to fit a "233" for example, it will be awesome bro..... then 2 weeks after loving the car the poor guy realises it sucks to drive in traffic etc and decides to sell it.

All i'm saying is there are alot of idiots out there.....be careful.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Go to Roadway mufflers in Belconnen. They do KPM. They also do CAI installs too. They often have a KPM system on display and they do look awesome.

Will end up a hell of a lot cheaper than Gentech!

Ron91

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Wagon
If I were you I'd message NAAF as said above. Get one of his exhausts or advice from him.

As for the drone. You can get a sound proof carpet to put in your wheel well and also if you do that, put it under your rear seat and you'll be set. I have a wagon too and plan to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, why a 2.5" exhaust over the 3"?
Secondly, I've looked up the Duspeed CAI and can't really find anything usefull on their website. Do you need to lean the radiator forward to install it and can I still use the MAF sensor?

I've been looking at the Orrsom CAI as well. No one here seems to talk about it. Why is that? They seem like a good bit of kit and there is no need to lean the radiator.

The KPM stuff sounds good but with what headers? Do they make their own or utilise other brands?
I think I could install the exhaust myself with a mate but I have no access to a hoist so that would make it much harder and I have no ability to do any kind of welding if needed.

I would like to not have to sound proof my boot and backseat.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I have chosen to go the Redlind route so I have a set to 2012 Redline wheels now and am getting all the parts needed to get that sorted.

I have same car, can't tell you how much safer and better it is with Brembos all around. Go the rear on the wagon too if you are using it as a wagon or towing, CTS-V 4 pot differential bore (not Camaro). GSL now has 14" T3 for the rear so big discs all round are the goods.
I run with an Orssom OTR and no complaints, will get either custom headers or the Pacemaker PH5387, then chat to (Fernando?) about a stainless termination box with helmholtz when my mild xforce goes religious on me (very holy).

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, why a 2.5" exhaust over the 3"?
Secondly, I've looked up the Duspeed CAI and can't really find anything usefull on their website. Do you need to lean the radiator forward to install it and can I still use the MAF sensor?

I've been looking at the Orrsom CAI as well. No one here seems to talk about it. Why is that? They seem like a good bit of kit and there is no need to lean the radiator.

The KPM stuff sounds good but with what headers? Do they make their own or utilise other brands?
I think I could install the exhaust myself with a mate but I have no access to a hoist so that would make it much harder and I have no ability to do any kind of welding if needed.

I would like to not have to sound proof my boot and backseat.

3" isn't really necessary unless you're going to go with a bigger cam or forced induction. 2.5" would have less drone but I think the 3" would sound tougher.
Most VE's on here have the VCM otr which is about $500 mark. You can get infill panels for it to make it look less obvious and more factory.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
If I were you I'd message NAAF as said above. Get one of his exhausts or advice from him.

As for the drone. You can get a sound proof carpet to put in your wheel well and also if you do that, put it under your rear seat and you'll be set. I have a wagon too and plan to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the VF wheel well carpet? Apparently it fits, looking into it too.