Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Buying A Restored "Repairable Write Off" From Used Car Dealer

Country Girl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
Hi, I need some advice. I've come across a VZ commodore wagon for a really good price with low km's (70K). It's cheap. The dealer advised me it has been in an accident. Was a 'repairable write off'. He tells me it was the front side and door. Is fixed and drives beautiful....better than another vz they have which hasn't been in an accident. The car is in the western suburbs caryard. My partner heard from a mate whose been in the business for years....that the dealers are really dodgy out there :blah blah:....
Should I buy this car or is it going to be a problem reselling later on or is it a bargain I shouldn't let get away? Has anyone ever bought a car like this? I'm really keen but a bit alarmed at how good it sounds and cheap. Thanks:unsure::unsure:

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
I would steer clear of any car that has been in a accident & is for sale. You dont know how much the cars structual integrity has been compromised.

Personally i havent bought a repairable write off nor would i buy one. Keep searching till u find what you like that hasnt been in a accident.:thumbsup:

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Do not buy it. It's not worth the risk.

davenmarcia

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
unless your buying it with no finance don't bother as not many finance company will do repaired write off cars. also insurance companies may or maynot insure them. I was in a similar situation a few months ago was offered a VY S pac with ss front and lights but couldn't get any finance and insurance was painfull to find.
Our friends have bought 3 cars from this person and he does a great job on repairs and even the slightest structural he scraps the cars for parts.

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Is it a Vic Reg vehicle?
Go here and do some research.
VicRoads: Vehicle Status Checks
Dont forget to type in the words at the bottom to get the damage details.
Or supply me with the Rego and I will do it for you.
Will then post results.

Of course it will be a problem selling it later. You do get what you pay for.

Or buy a VIP. See attached file.

Attachments

• PDF_A0081744[1].pdf
    209.4 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
How cheap are we talking? 7,8? 10-12? You can find a lot of VZ Exec's, with a few k's on it, albeit, for about 10-11 now.
And for 7,8, you're better off looking at VX S-Pack, or maybe a Berlina

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
Always worth a REV Check and a NRMA Vehicle Inspection Report before you buy any vehicle

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
To be honest I think you're setting yourself up for more pain than it's worth. Do you really want to be chasing insurance, do you really want to be relying on a car that has been repaired from a write-off? It may be cheaper but in most cases in the end it will cost you more in time and effort. If you're keen then definitely get it checked out first!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Just get it checked out to make sure it has been done in the correct way,

Just because its a repairable write off dosent mean the dammage was that bad it just means that it was not worth fixing, from a cost point of view.

You can always get a quote to insurance it

If its fixed the correct way, its a good price, it looks good and drives good i would take it. You could hold out and get a nother car that has been damaged and repaired with out even knowing.

I think it was good of them to tell you anyway