Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help buying vz wagon??

Mike1109

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon
Hi everyone, I’m new here and have been looking at buying a commodore wagon for a little while now. Mostly vz’s have been in my price range and haven’t really seen vy’s for sale much, in my area at least.

Just recently two vz Berlina’s have come up for sale. I’m trying to weigh up between them and was looking for somebody’s opinion who may know a lot more than what I do haha.

The difference is basically one is an 05 and has 170k’s on it compared to an 04 with 120k’s.
I think timing chains can be an expensive issue with these cars from what I’ve read. The one with 170 kilometres has had its timing chain already replaced and was very quiet compared to a rattle or two I heard from the 120kms one.
I just thought that maybe the peace of mind with the more kilometres is more worth it than worrying about replacing a timing chain for potentially $1000 maybe?
Thanks any reply is helpful and appreciated.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I am on my second VZ wagon, had an 06 and sold it at 140,000 k's to get the present one, 07 with 170,000 k's.
This one was my partners for a year so I knew all about it, whereas the 06 was ex railways and just did not drive as good as the 07, mind you I have had to spend some money in 2.5 years on air con compressor, 02 sensor, radiator, coils and plugs, purge valve, rear shocks for memory, so whatever you get, there is always costs associated with owning a car.
I do all my own work so it is only parts except for the air con compressor which was close to $1000 fitted and gassed.
My only advice is go with what feels best and drives best.
The engines have been known to sludge up badly so check through the oil filler cap if possible, also check engine oil colour and auto oil colour and smell, as well as coolant.
Make sure you service them every 7000 to 8000 not the 15000 as recommended.
They can show rust in the door sill joins so check that out also, as well as the seams in the under bonnet areas.
Make sure everything works including, but not limited to, front and rear window washers, and check all electric windows for full open/close.
If the drivers seat has been redone, could be a sign of K's not showing if you get my drift, also if the drivers door is very rattley is another sign.
Most important, have a good look under the cars for off road damage.
What prices are they asking ?

Last edited:

Mike1109

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon
Thanks so much that’s a great help! Both asking 6000 for them. Both have service history but the one with 170k’s has been looked after really well by the current owner and he’s replaced heaps including front bushes, thermostat, and I’m pretty sure the 02 sensor too but not certain.

The lower kilometres one has a tow bar that looks pretty well used too so could that mean that it’s engine has maybe been worked harder compared to the other without a tow bar?

I’ve got a mechanic friend that I reckon I’ll ask him to have a look too.
Thanks so much for your help!!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Good wagons seem to have held around $6000 for a few years now, although I got $7000 for the 06 in March 2015.
Good luck.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Main thing is you keep up with servicing I get mine done every 5000klm