Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! ID this vibration please

dumb blonde

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore

I need help identifying what this vibration is: It isn't a rattle. When the engine is idling, a vibration can be heard inside the car. You can't hear it from the engine bay, you can't hear it under the car (stationary, dunno about when it's moving). Goes away when the engine rpm rise just off the idle, sounds 'hollow' like an exhaust but the exhaust appears to be fine and not contacting the underside of the car. (it's a 2.5"). No vibration appears to come from the engine itself. It's a VP auto BTW. Is this normal? I've only had the car a short time, the noise was there when we brought the car.

pumba

OMR346
Reaction score
Website
www.mh-performance.com
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
my VS V6 has a vibrating noise and its coming from the 3" exhaust hitting th eunderside of the car due to a busted exhaust mount... it only does it when at idle. it could be numerous things, but id look at the exhaust abit more if u think it might be that

dumb blonde

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
Thanks Pumba, have had a quick check and the rear exhaust bracket has been 'fixed' with a piece of wire to hold it up. Will get a new one on Tues and see if that fixes the problem.

Anthraxnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
mine had a rattle too, was an exhaust shield below the hand brake area of the car, it was resting against the exhaust so i bent it with some pliers and its stopped now :)

such a bad sound to have, makes your car look crap if its going BRRRBRRRR when trying to parallel park.

dumb blonde

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
OK.. It isn't the exhaust. The vibration isn't audible from outside the car or in the engine bay. If I hold a screwdriver on the engine or belhousing I only get regular engine vibes. If I hold it on the exhaust, drive train or the trans oil pan I feel it. No vibration in the steering wheel or the gear shifter. Have been variously told - engine mount (s), torque converter or flex plate (whatever that is!). Any other diagnosis?? Anybody??