Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me choose a Cam

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hey guys,
Got a VX SS that i am halfway through doing up, got an OTR on its way, 2.5 twin cat back exhaust and new pacemakers coming next month
I have been reading a bit on different cams and listening.watching all the you-tube videos and still cant seem to make a decision.

I think i will stop modifying the motor after the cam so i dont need a supercharge friendly one.

What i would like to achieve is that RAW V8 power so lots of torque and lots of power, not really concerned with fuel economy but dont want to see it go to shi* either, i would like to keep it as a sunday driver for the streets so usability needs to remain
Not really a fan of the really excessively lumpy idles either...

When guys refer to some cams as having bad drive ability...what are they referring to? do some cams increase the engines tendency to stall at low rpms?

Sorry for the questions but i have spent a few days trawling JC, LS1.com.au and LS1 tech and havent found a decent answer

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Come on guys, i reckon a 220-230 range cam would be good but i need some help, any recomendations? can lumpiness be tuned out?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I think a cam around the 220/2 on the intake and 220/2/4 on the exhaust would suit your needs perfectly match the LSA around the 114 mark and she'll still purr on idle and make good torque and fairly decent power

Yes lumpiness can be tuned out, my car has a 220/220 112 and it has a noticeable lump and when I drive normally it retains better fuel consumption then stock

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
When guys refer to some cams as having bad drive ability...what are they referring to? do some cams increase the engines tendency to stall at low rpms?

if your cammed car does these things you would need a new tuner
cams these days can behave and drive like normal

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
There have been alot of good results coming out of the Comp Cams XR275HR aka Comp Cams 275 XFI RPM HI LIFT; specs for it are as follows:
222/224 0.566"/0.568" 112LSA

Have a search around JC for it, there are a few guys out there that have it, has a decent lump if you want, or can be tuned out, also is more of a torque monster then a dyno cam, but has seen basically the setup your going for reach up to 300rwkw, but generally around the 260-275 rwkw mark. However don't be put off by it not having jaw-dropping power figures, because you generally see a very flat torque curve sitting around the 650+Nm mark, in all parts of the rev range, making this a VERY usable cam.. this cam with correct diff gearing and histall (and proper rubber) has seen low 11s quarters.

One thing you never said tho, is it a manual or is it a auto? Auto's can handle muuuch higher cams then a manual can due to the hi-stall capabilities.. And this cam can suit both.. I have also heard of this cam being used in an auto WITHOUT a histall, but its very border line. lol

This is the cam I will likely go..

Other wise you can look into the usual foray of cams such as the 228/230 112LSA or the 232/234 seen some good stuff out of them..

But best advice of all would be select the tuner you want (as anyone can install a cam, its the tuning that makes or breaks it) go to them, talk with them about what cams they usually use.. chances are they will have a car with that cam, or a customer willing to take u for a drive or in some cases, drive it.. Some ppl like lump an some ppl dont, some ppl like low down torque, an some ppl like super high end hp and no low down driveability.. its up to you and ur driving style..

I will likely be going the 222/224 tho.. (its also meant to retain awesome fuel figures, but then again, thats up to your selection of tuner again, so.. [i also dont believe in buying a cam for its fuel usage haha just doenst sound logical])

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
There have been alot of good results coming out of the Comp Cams XR275HR aka Comp Cams 275 XFI RPM HI LIFT; specs for it are as follows:
222/224 0.566"/0.568" 112LSA

Have a search around JC for it, there are a few guys out there that have it, has a decent lump if you want, or can be tuned out, also is more of a torque monster then a dyno cam, but has seen basically the setup your going for reach up to 300rwkw, but generally around the 260-275 rwkw mark. However don't be put off by it not having jaw-dropping power figures, because you generally see a very flat torque curve sitting around the 650+Nm mark, in all parts of the rev range, making this a VERY usable cam.. this cam with correct diff gearing and histall (and proper rubber) has seen low 11s quarters.

One thing you never said tho, is it a manual or is it a auto? Auto's can handle muuuch higher cams then a manual can due to the hi-stall capabilities.. And this cam can suit both.. I have also heard of this cam being used in an auto WITHOUT a histall, but its very border line. lol

This is the cam I will likely go..

Other wise you can look into the usual foray of cams such as the 228/230 112LSA or the 232/234 seen some good stuff out of them..

But best advice of all would be select the tuner you want (as anyone can install a cam, its the tuning that makes or breaks it) go to them, talk with them about what cams they usually use.. chances are they will have a car with that cam, or a customer willing to take u for a drive or in some cases, drive it.. Some ppl like lump an some ppl dont, some ppl like low down torque, an some ppl like super high end hp and no low down driveability.. its up to you and ur driving style..

I will likely be going the 222/224 tho.. (its also meant to retain awesome fuel figures, but then again, thats up to your selection of tuner again, so.. [i also dont believe in buying a cam for its fuel usage haha just doenst sound logical])
i have this cam and drives like stock. uses a small amount more fuel than stock, and has a slight lumpy idle.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
i have this cam and drives like stock. uses a small amount more fuel than stock, and has a slight lumpy idle.

Hey man, just read through your rides thread, got any more info on the cam... ie Dyno printout? etc and love the step up in power or should have gone bigger? I want that one as Im keeping mine daily, and probably not gunna visit the track often..

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
If your going to the trouble and expense of camming it, it's gotta be the biggest, baddest, lumpiest mother f#%€er you can find.

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
If your going to the trouble and expense of camming it, it's gotta be the biggest, baddest, lumpiest mother f#%€er you can find.
gold mate,

Cheers heaps guys, yeah it is a manual, i just couldnt work out what people meant by bad driveability or not very street friendly when they are refering to some larger cams.

I will search the forums now and check out the range in the 220/2 area...
its the black science of mechanics with grounding and earthing being their electrical counterparts....lots of different opinions and ways to achieve the same result.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Just remember that bigger isn't better when it comes to cams! If you want torque then speak to a cam machinist and he will set you up with one..

These lumpy sounding cars you hear on youtube wont have **** on you if the cross you on the streets and your packing a smaller cam. The lumpy cams with high lifts are great for a track car and justifiable if they hit the strip every now and again but in short squirts like you would give it on a daily basis from lights to lights then a smaller can which produces more torque is what you'll need.

Large lumpy cams sound awesome but have noting down low and are only good at speeds that are obviously illegal on our roads ;) Not point having a car that sounds good it cant go good ;)