Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP needed for fog light wiring!!! VT EXEC

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
So after a massive headache searching for the factory looms for both the fog light switch AND for the foggies themselves, i haven't been able to find them so it looks like im wiring it all up from scratch. I've got the correct parts i believe... Fog light switch, loom for the switch, looms for the foggies and the fuse (big square one). I've also got the foggies mounted it's just a matter of installing them!
I'm basing the installation around this diagram (Hopefully it's the right one)

Spotlight20Wiring.jpg

My first question is there is a white wire with a blue trace and a purple wire coming from the fog light looms. Which one is to be earthed?

Secondly this image shows everything being hooked up to the headlight switch yet i want mine straight to the original foggie switch (for a simple on and off process) out of a Calais. There are four wires coming from the fog light switch LOOM. What wires are what so i know where to hook them up to?

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
So after a massive headache searching for the factory looms for both the fog light switch AND for the foggies themselves, i haven't been able to find them so it looks like im wiring it all up from scratch. I've got the correct parts i believe... Fog light switch, loom for the switch, looms for the foggies and the fuse (big square one). I've also got the foggies mounted it's just a matter of installing them!
I'm basing the installation around this diagram (Hopefully it's the right one)

Spotlight20Wiring.jpg

My first question is there is a white wire with a blue trace and a purple wire coming from the fog light looms. Which one is to be earthed?

Secondly this image shows everything being hooked up to the headlight switch yet i want mine straight to the original foggie switch (for a simple on and off process) out of a Calais. There are four wires coming from the fog light switch LOOM. What wires are what so i know where to hook them up to?

Hey mate.

Ive got some wiring diagrams from another thread that i can probably post up tomoro. As for the earthing, i think the white wire is the positive accessory wire (i.e hook up. Multimeter to that wire and ground to the chasis while the key is on accessory and you should have 12v). As for the purple wire i think it acts as the ground, but only from the relay when the switch is activated. Ill get some digrams up for you tomoro though, cuz it well help. What model do you have? And have a check in the engine bay where the relays sit and see if the fog lamp spot has metal pins there. Mine is am exec and had it.

Hope this may have helped.
Cheers

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
Hey that would be really good man thanks a lot! Yeah it's an exec early '99 model. I've had a good look for the relay and had no luck! But i guess once i know how to wiring up everything it shouldn't be too hard. But without the actual metal pins in the relay i can just fix the fuse somewhere secure at attach the wires directly to it right?

BarossaVT

VT L67 214rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S L67
How did you go cutting the holes in the front bar for the lamps?? I take it they are original lamps you are installing? I bought some ages ago and they still in my shed cause I wanted to see a bar with factory holes so I got it right!! lol

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
How did you go cutting the holes in the front bar for the lamps?? I take it they are original lamps you are installing? I bought some ages ago and they still in my shed cause I wanted to see a bar with factory holes so I got it right!! lol

Ended up just getting the Calais front bar man, I got slightly tapped at the front which took some paint off and cracked the bar!

SookyTurner thanks mate, so from what I can see that page from the book has the wire codes on them and the list above says what color is what? I think that's what I'm looking for ;-)

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
I followed the wiring diagram that was shown on the other thread, did it pretty much spot on and at least got somewhere yet I'm having some issues. It seems that when i turn the lowbeams on the foglights light up very slightly as well has the highbeams. The lowbeams stay on. Yet when I turn the foglights on via the switch, one lowbeam turns off, one high beam comes on completely (one off) and the highbeams stay on. Haha i don't know whats gone wrong, must be a cross-over somewhere just don't know where... Anyone got an idea

HEADLIGHT SWITCH ON

IMG_2662.jpg

FOG LIGHT SWITCH ON

IMG_2663.jpg

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I had a similar problem recently and it turned out that one of the headlamp fuses in the engine bay had blown. The fuses are marked L/H Headlamp and R/H Headlamp. This might not be your problem but it's worth a look.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Your problem would most likely be due to the relay(did you use the relay?), Violet/white wire is earth but it's a switched earth through the relay to ground.
I have a VS manual here that I just looked at. If you still need it sorted I can scan a clear pic of it.