Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed...VP motor on Ecotech ECU? It runs and drives but its not great :(

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Is the gauge fitted in line or is it a T piece?

I would check the pressure up at the rail too. I'd also get the injectors cleaned and flow checked.

toyo truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Toyota Commo-Lux
Hey mate,

The guage is not fitted all the time, we just put the thread of the guage straight into the outlet from the pump
(Effectively blocking the outlet with the guage - it was the only one I had on me at the time)
So you rekon check the pressure at the injector rail... any idea of what it SHOULD be on a VP commodore?
Like 45 or something? 90 psi seems very high indeed.

I removed the injectors and they look very clean, but I might just get em flow tested.
How much to get em cleaned and flow tested usually?

So it goes like this right? In order from the motor backwards...so I know what to tick off.
INJECTORS
INJECTOR RAIL
FUEL PRESSURE REG
FUEL LINE
COMMODORE FUEL FILTER
WALBRO IN LINE FUEL PUMP
SURGE TANK
LIFT PUMP
MAIN FUEL TANK
(And return lines and vapour line)

Cheers,
Bart

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you check the pressure at the rail and it's fine, then the only thing that could be a problem are the injectors. If it's not them, then it is tune related.

Pressure at the rail should be around 45psi.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hey mate,

The guage is not fitted all the time, we just put the thread of the guage straight into the outlet from the pump
(Effectively blocking the outlet with the guage - it was the only one I had on me at the time)
So you rekon check the pressure at the injector rail... any idea of what it SHOULD be on a VP commodore?
Like 45 or something? 90 psi seems very high indeed.

I removed the injectors and they look very clean, but I might just get em flow tested.
How much to get em cleaned and flow tested usually?

So it goes like this right? In order from the motor backwards...so I know what to tick off.
INJECTORS
INJECTOR RAIL
FUEL PRESSURE REG
FUEL LINE
COMMODORE FUEL FILTER
WALBRO IN LINE FUEL PUMP
SURGE TANK
LIFT PUMP
MAIN FUEL TANK
(And return lines and vapour line)

Cheers,
Bart

How did it go sorting this weekend?

Yes, 90 psi is very high - 625kPa. Correct pressure for VP is manifold absolute pressure + 250kPa so 280-350kPa absolute, 180-250kPa gauge, idle to WOT. A little lower than 280/180kPa on decel.

Don't know your manifold pressure? Measure the voltage output from the MAP sensor - there's only earth, nominal 5V input and the sensor output so which wire will be easy to determine - and scale it. The sensor output is very nearly linear wrt voltage vs manifold pressure; 4.9V is 100kPa = engine off or WOT, so voltage times 20 = ~kPa. (The full specs for the sensor are on the web in various places as it's used in all sorts of GM stuff and even Jeeps.)

A 'T' fitting and barbed tails from Pirtek or Enzed to enable checking fuel pressure while running might be cheaper than random parts replacement.

I think that it's more likely to be an installation problem rather than any fault with the driveline or ECM as a VR PCM, even running batch fire - all 6 injectors together - will run a VP (or VR without cam sensor) fine. There's very little mechanical differences, other than the cam sensor, between VP and VR V6.

Where is the return from the fuel pressure reg. on the injector rail plumbed into; the main fuel tank or the surge tank? Could the high pressure pump be emptying the surge tank faster than the lift pump is filling it?

Last edited:

toyo truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Toyota Commo-Lux
OK...ITS SORTED!!!!

As you know I have had ENDLESS amounts of issues with my Hilux V6 conversion... uses 22L+ per 100kms... no power... poor gear selection... poor driveability... you name it.
Like many of you on here I ended up spending a FORTUNE trying to fix it,
And I want you to all stop and read this before spending ANOTHER CENT on your truck trying to improve it.

Now for the first time in a year, it is running REALLY well!! Feels like it has DOUBLE the power, but only uses around HALF the fuel!
So stoked right now!!!! YAY!

So how did we do it?? Well, after talking to about a thousand “experts” (Including the place that sold the conversion kits ) and then spending big $$$ at so called “EFI Tuners” to try and resolve the issue, I have finally hooked up with a master tuner who actually knows his stuff, and has been tuning anything with a DELCO computer for the last 3 decades. This guy can tune any Holden motor from the Walkinshaw VL to the new 6.0L V8s!
They all use DELCO ECUs, and this guy can not only fix them, but make them custom tuned to your specification! for me 4WDING!!!

He hooked up my ECU to his laptop and we drove around for an hour or so, the whole time he’s making changes on his own in-house real-time software (yes he and his son wrote it from scratch) and then asking me to WOT and back off so he can see the A/F ratio and make changes accordingly. On top of this he also managed to re-map the gearbox so its shifts are better suited to a lux on 35”s. Then he took all of this and applied it to a “Police” spec build for the 3.8 V6, so now my lux is a “ex-chaser” lux . I also got him to make the thermo fan kick in at 93deg instead of 98 (which is stock and IMHO too high for a 4wd application).

So yeah it’s a rocket now, takes off the line hard and pulls all the way through to 100km/h + no worries. Plus its got so much more grunt on and off road. And on top of all those good things, the fuel consumption is at least twice as good as it was, plus the fan kicks in much sooner now which is
keeping the engine bay heat WAAAAAY down. (I would reccomend this alone for ANY commo-lux conversion as it just makes it all run way cooler).

Anyone who has done a Holden conversion to your lux or jeep or whatever, I highly suggest you go and see Richard from ’s Electronics. The bloke is an absolute GENIUS with EFi tuning! And now he has worked out a good map for a V6 into a 4WD hilux (or whatever 4B you want to put it in), he can give you more power, better economy, customised shift patterns for dedicated crawlers, and most importantly, get your V6 conversion running RIGHT! Plus you will not meet a nicer bloke to work with. He’s honest, up front and will not try to rip you off…unlike a lot of other “tuners” out there that just take the piss and often just sell re-badged pre programmed chips. TRUST ME I KNOW!

Go to a REAL tuner and get a CUSTOM tune… you’ll never look back!
Call Dick on 9542 5544 or check out his website its…Dicks Electronics RTLS1: News

Cheers,
Bart

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Glad you got it sorted, had a feeling it was in the tune as I said in my last post.

toyo truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Toyota Commo-Lux
Hey mate,

Yeah thanks for all your help and awesome advice.

Truck runs really good now.
Getting about 12L/100kms which is pretty much how much they get in a commodore right?
Some people tell me this is good for a sedan, let alone a hilux! very stoked with that.
Drives so much better now, gear changes are smooth as silk, and power accross the range is vastly improved.

Will be swapping in platinum tipped Spark Plugs tonight, see what that does for it as the current plugs are black as!
Might also put some LiquiMoly Injector cleaner through the fuel aswell.

But yeah, am most stoked by the outcome.