Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP PLEASE: VT Brake Conversion Issues...

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
I am in the process of this upgrade and stumbled on this thread and was completely unaware that there was modification needed to the VT booster.

I am wondering if you can use the MC only and fit it in my case onto the VP booster? possible?

I am aware the pedal feel will be different but I drove a VY and I feel that the VP softer faster falling pedal if more my preference. VY one felt slow and rather hard in comparison.

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
No, Im pretty sure the bolt position is different between the VT(X) booster and the VN(P) masters, whereas apparently the VS booster IS same as the VX, so either way, you would need to remove the VP one.. You although CAN use a 1" V8 VP (VN?) master, rather than the 15/16" and still from what Ive heard, get reasonable pedal feel. I myself wasn't convinced and just replaced the lot- Was alot easier than I thought...I recommend getting the VX master booster and doing the above, or ask markovr very nicely to make you one... :)

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think I might just go back the wrecker and trade in the VT booster and MC for VP 1", be easier. And if its got a softer feel I am all for the VP booster.

I'll ask the guy at holmart first before I go trading it in, he said nothing about modifying anything so I am not sure what he did in his cars. He just said I needed a 1" MC and I just must of assumed VT MC?

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
What size is the master on yours?? Are you sure you haven't already got the 1" master? There are a few people who prefer the VP booster/ 1" master cyl and it still works sufficiently. I had to do my conversion thanks to my 22 year old son needing me to cannibalise the VP, just to get his 380000k POS VN wagon alive...the old tooper...lol.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know my project VP which is getting the VT brakes is 15/16ths

going outside to check my vacationer VP as that came standard with the 290mm rotors, but that won't be coming off the road for a while yet as its my work car and has been for more than 6 years.

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah cool, then the 1" master will definately be a good start- Good luck and hope it all goes the way you want it... :)

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just checked, nope! 15/16ths

well off to the wreckers tomorrow.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Heres a picture of my vp with the vt master/booster setup that I installed today in about 2 hrs. Its a bolt in with all you have to do that is a bit finicky is bend your brake lines to suit the new cylinder.
Results are instant and all I had to do is bleed it at the lines and it was in and going..didnt even waste much fluid
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=20661&d=1150621024

so Marko, what set-up have you got at the wheels? Your VT master cylinder looks really neat. Does installing the VT master and booster give a boost in stopping power or just make it easier to lock-up the wheels? It doesn't look like you've got ABS on yours?
My VP has stock, heavy duty brakes with the 290mm (289mm?) rotors on the front. I think this is what was installed on the V8

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT brakes will give you better stopping power, locking the wheels easy with no real stopping power is usually the result of small insufficient brakes if nothing else is wrong with them.

Once brakes are upgraded I would suggest, stickier tyres and superpro bushes all round on the front end to help maintain suspension geometry under hard braking, this will improve tyre adhesion during braking also benefit handling greatly.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
don't forget basics like shockers, ball joints and tie rod ends, they all work together to keep the tires on the road ;)