Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012sv6commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
I have a 2012 VE sv6 sedan 3.6l. Today I was driving it and the engine light came on. it felt find but i pulled over to check the engine. I don’t know much about engines, but as i pulled up the car was majorly vibrating as I was idle. I got out and had a look and everything looked fine from the top, but I’m no expert so I don’t really know. I turned it around to bring to the mechanic and the light went off and it stopped vibrating. I thought it was fine so I ended up just driving to where I was going. Drove another 50 km and then the light came on again. It wasn’t shaking at all but the lights not and I’m shitting myself. Anyone got any advice or knowledge?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Take it to a workshop that can scan the codes, that should tell you want is wrong with it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a big leap, changing a ECU to fix a misfire.

2012sv6commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sedan
I have a 2012 VE sv6 sedan 3.6l. Today I was driving it and the engine light came on. it felt find but i pulled over to check the engine. I don’t know much about engines, but as i pulled up the car was majorly vibrating as I was idle. I got out and had a look and everything looked fine from the top, but I’m no expert so I don’t really know. I turned it around to bring to the mechanic and the light went off and it stopped vibrating. I thought it was fine so I ended up just driving to where I was going. Drove another 50 km and then the light came on again. It wasn’t shaking at all but the lights not and I’m shitting myself. Anyone got any advice or knowledge?
UPDATE: The code was U0140-00. The guy at sca reckon it needs a new ECU but does anyone know?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The early ECMs do fail and yours is not an early one. I wouldn't take advice from a person qualified to change wiper blades. @Fu Manchu and @krusing have good knowledge on these engines.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Find a real mechanic the supershit guy is guessing he's probably never fixed a commodore in his life.
This is rock solid advice.

A faulty ECM is a complex diagnosis that requires a lot of data supporting the diagnosis.

Some person at Supercheap is not where it’s at, and sure as hell isn’t diagnosed with a scan tool and a code.
IMG_6417.jpeg