Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help. Vt Holden Commodore problems.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
First things first ..

Whats in it Ecotec or Alloytec ?

If your mechanic hasn't pulled the heads off, how does he know they have to be sent awayto get tested ? Could just be a gasket....

My suggestion - rip the heads off for a look see. If you choose to replace, rip the heads off the replacement for a look see while the engines out. It's alwasy good insurance to see whats going on inside.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
It's an ecotech by my figuring. Who would put an alloytech in a VT with 400,000 clicks? Come to think of it, who would put an alloytech in any car? :bomb:

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
There is like 400000km on it i think. No loss that i can see. And yeah there is some water in the oil. We've put three bottles of camiseal through it but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. He said the only way to really know if its the head is to send it away to get tested which is more money and ive just put $200 into it to get the leads and plugs on her done so yeah everything seems to be pointing towards the new motor i have found one at a wreckers for $ 660 and have got some one that will charge me about $600 to put it in. What do you think? I did all the fluids in her at about 5:00 and she was like really low on water so i topped it up and took the car for a drive only about ten mins and she didn't pike a temp then but then about 6:30 i took it for another spin and she lasted on normal temp for about 10 mins then piked right up high and had to stop and let her cool down. Its frustrating. Everyone is just telling me to dump it and get a new one but yeah
Some wreckers fits the motors they sell
Will work out alot cheaper

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
who would put 3 bottles of chemweld in a car and call himself a mechanic :)

MechanicFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Holden Commodore
Ok so guys. I was told to bleed it and did and i have driven her now for about 20mins and haven't piked a temp at all. What do you think? Prob fixed?

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Heat is always a symptom, not a cause.

problems not fixed, just hidden.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
Your first problem was the mechanic! He has no idea by the sound of things.

Your cars problem sounds like either an inlet manifold gasket, or head gasket.
My money would be on the head gasket, its not hard to change, do them both and change the inlet gasket at the same time. Cost you like what? $200 including fluids and ordinary gaskets

Unless of course you can find a decent replacement motor, that you know is in good nick (don't always take the wreckers word for it - I used to work for one and he was........... creative with problematic motors), with at least half the k's yours has done, and do the heads on that before it goes in.