Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with 1984 VK Cluster

blackbird252l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VL
Hey everyone,

Im new to VK's actually im new to holdens in general i got a 1984 Holden Commodore VK SL with a black 202 and the cluster is all funny im doing 100km but its jumping from 80-120 then back to 100 so thats one small issue my other issue is the clock stopped at 62,000km the guy i bought it from was a 80 year old man and took very good care of the car so i dont think he would have touched it so is there a way i can see why its doing it or is it best to buy another one? also iv been looking at the digital clusters on ebay, well only one due to the only one i can find on there and was wondering would that fit in the SL or do i have to get another one out of an SL?

thanks all :)

dans28

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hi mate,

I would look at changing the speedo cable first or at least the plastic gear on the end that goes into box as I have seen this cause the needle to bounce between speeds if they are warn, but sounds like it has other issues that only he can fix

I would suggest Tom Tarranto instruments in Ballarat he is well priced and the only one i have ever used and you can post item etc contact details 122 Dawson st Ballarat 3350
(03) 5331 4952

Cheers

blackbird252l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VL
:) thanks guys, I pulled my one out and got it working for 20min it was a white plastic gear that was the issue with the speedo KM stuck at 62,000 but **** itself again will contact both tomorrow :) thanks

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If you want to put a calais digital cluster in you will need to get all the transducers to go with.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi mate,

I would look at changing the speedo cable first or at least the plastic gear on the end that goes into box as I have seen this cause the needle to bounce between speeds if they are warn, but sounds like it has other issues that only he can fix

I would suggest Tom Tarranto instruments in Ballarat he is well priced and the only one i have ever used and you can post item etc contact details 122 Dawson st Ballarat 3350
(03) 5331 4952

Cheers

aka "speedotom" :)

dans28

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Yes I realised that after I posted but I didn't realise he was on here as I know him from Ballarat and not the forum, apologies to you Scott.

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
If you want to put a calais digital cluster in you will need to get all the transducers to go with.

So I can chuck a calais dash in? Are all these tranducers at the wreckers behind a calais cluster?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
its a little more involved than just chucking it in Transducers are still floating around expect to pay around $150, you also need the wiring harness, then you need the dash cluster and there is a circuit board that plugs into the wiring harness I think its to do with the trip computer. Also speedo cable from gearbox to transducer.
You then will need a few sensors to make things work correctly, such as a low coolant sensor, honestly its a PIA to fit.
I have had a complete kit here and never bothered to fit it to my car.

Scott

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
its a little more involved than just chucking it in Transducers are still floating around expect to pay around $150, you also need the wiring harness, then you need the dash cluster and there is a circuit board that plugs into the wiring harness I think its to do with the trip computer. Also speedo cable from gearbox to transducer.
You then will need a few sensors to make things work correctly, such as a low coolant sensor, honestly its a PIA to fit.
I have had a complete kit here and never bothered to fit it to my car.

Scott

Do you want to sell me this and maybe helo me out with it a little?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2