Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with lowering car!

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
hey Nate i just had my vx lowered about a month ago at pedders suspension. i got new springs, rear shocks and some polyurethane bushes put in. pedders charged me $760 including a wheel alignment but i supplied the bushes which cost me $200 from bursons, so i paid nearly $1000 all up. the handling is much better now and steering feel way more responsive. overall i was happy with the service pedders gave me however they didnt make my car sit as low as i wanted it to, when i asked them to lower it i just said lowest legal and expected it to sit really low. when i saw my car after getting it lowered i asked the guy if he was sure it was at lowest legal height and he kept telling me it was and that if they lowered it further it would be unroadworthy. The car dropped a little in height a couple of days after due to the springs wearing in and the car now sits at a nice height but i still want it lower lol.

anyways the point of me telling you this is to learn from my mistake and hopefully help you out so you aren't disappointed like i was. if you decide to get your car lowered at a workshop (i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself) make sure you take them outside and show them how low you want your car to sit. i would also recommend changing the shocks at the same time as the ride quality will be poor if you don't which i learnt the hard way. for shocks i would recommend the bilstein b8's, these are very good shocks but are also very expensive at around $500 for 2 rear shocks and $700 for 2 fronts, you can contact GSL rallysport on the forum about these. one of my mates has these in a lowered vx calais and it handles extremely well and the ride quality is excellent, well worth it i would say.

your looking at around $2k to get your car lowered and get the bilstein b8's. i would also recommend getting some of the bushes changed to polyurethane ones as it will improve handling, you can just ask your local suspension shop about which bushes to replace, they will surely know. the bushes will be and extra $200 or so, superpro or nolathane are both good brands.

i know this is a lot of money but it is worth spending on suspension mods which are often overlooked and will make a massive improvement on the cars performance as opposed to engine mods such as a full exhaust system and other bolt ons which wont really offer too much of an increase in performance or value for money.

First of all thank-you for taking the time to write this, this has made it very clear and brought me up to speed on what I need and want to do!
I appreciate this response :) and thanks for the tips also very appreciated!

Would it be worth my time lowering it now with stocks or wait till i get the rims etc that im planning on getting?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
You can lower it now and let them settle then slap the wheel on or go the other way round.. My vy is on ultras with Monroe shocks with 19's.. Not too bad for ride comfort, just have to watch for pot holes and big dips in the roads.. Are you planning on doing it your self to save money or a shop?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I reckon lower it first so you can enjoy the new ride now, and don't look like a tool riding around with your new 19's on and your car on stilts.

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
You can lower it now and let them settle then slap the wheel on or go the other way round.. My vy is on ultras with Monroe shocks with 19's.. Not too bad for ride comfort, just have to watch for pot holes and big dips in the roads.. Are you planning on doing it your self to save money or a shop?

100% shop i don't have the know how or skill to do it myself without the risk of messing it up! I wanted to lower it first for that reason to get used to the ride height and all then i could stick the other rims on, just wanted an opinion first! Thanks!

I reckon lower it first so you can enjoy the new ride now, and don't look like a tool riding around with your new 19's on and your car on stilts.

I was hoping it would work that way! Thanks for your help and opinion! :) and yeah it would look stupid on 19s on 'stilts' hahah

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No probs, just let the shop know you plan to fit 19's in the future so they can take it into consideration.

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
First of all thank-you for taking the time to write this, this has made it very clear and brought me up to speed on what I need and want to do!
I appreciate this response :) and thanks for the tips also very appreciated!

Would it be worth my time lowering it now with stocks or wait till i get the rims etc that im planning on getting?

All good man, happy to take the time to help someone out. just let the shop know your plans as mentioned and you should be sweet.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
i think you need to set yourself a definitive budget. Otherwise the car shops will take you for a hard ride. If you want to maintain some comfort, but have a lower look.. change the springs. If you want it to corner like its on rails, then spend the money..

Most importantly, set yourself a budget..

natesVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
i think you need to set yourself a definitive budget. Otherwise the car shops will take you for a hard ride. If you want to maintain some comfort, but have a lower look.. change the springs. If you want it to corner like its on rails, then spend the money..

Most importantly, set yourself a budget..

Thanks and will do!