Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Help with RWC "defects"

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Sup,

Probably gonna get flamed for this but I kinda need some advice.

Anyway, stuck the VT in for a roadworthy today and the list came back with some "defects". The rocker cover gaskets and power steering leaks are understandable, but where do I stand on the headlights problem? Or even the strut boots and muffler mounting rubbers?(I've never seen the rubbers without at least a crack, even in new cars). Plus the tiny dent on the rear tail light in the dark section of it....

List;
Power Steering oil leaks
Front strut boots broken
Left hand side tail light lens broken(there is a small dent on the very left side, as far forward as it goes...doesn't affect brake/tail lights at all)
LHS headlight faded(headlights still work fine on low and high beam I tested them out on the highway last night)
Headlights to be aimed(see above)
Muffler mounting rubbers broken(What cars aren't?)
Engine oil leak to be rectified + Engine to be cleaned + checked(rocker cover gaskets. only legit problem on the whole list. A clean engine isn't going to affect driveability)

I only have enough money for the rego transfer and some small parts(just bought the car), so cost saving is priority lol. Only need 1 rocker cover gasket(already have one for this motor, somehow). Can I remove the yellow bit from the headlight, or will it have to be replaced?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cracked lights let in moisture.

Cut and polish should clean up the headlight

You align them by yourself by pointed them against a wall and winding the screw up or down

Rubber mount will cost you stuff all

Depending how bad the leaks are you may get away with just cleaning it.

Which strut boots?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Ok so...

You post up here looking for what exactly?

Get an orbital buffer & cutting/polishing compound onto your headlight.
Replace the tail light,
Fix all your leaks etc...

I'm not sure what you are really after...

Fix the issues, Pass the roadworthy.

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Front boots.

The lights work correctly on the road, which is what the guy didn't understand. They light up everything within 100m on low and 200m on high, so I can't see where he's found a problem.

I'll get some cut and polish for the headlight, thanks.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
All look like easy problems to fix......
Go buy a gregories manual and it will show you how to fix most things on that list...

Honestly, that's a pretty lenient rwc for a 10+ year old car...

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
hhhmm i dont have front boots anymore cause they dont fit the different struts

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Its kind of wierd as fords dont run boots on their front shocks. I might be just they way theyre made...

As for tailight it should pass a rwc (thought everyone is different) mine is cracked and it passed a rwc and inspection (not that they looked hard at vicroads) I've been "told" that as long as no clear light shines through its a pass....

As for headlight polish it no big deal..

Exhaust replace them cost you $10 for a few

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Thanks guys(and gals if present). I talked to mum and she'll talk to the mechanic and tell him what needs to be said...I'm not the best talker :)

Bottom of the gearbox is wet(oil), so it'll need a clean before I can find the leak, probably the back of the sump gasket, which isn't too painful to do.

Also, where else could the power steering be leaking? I can't see anything from the bottle to the pump, and then from there its too cluttered to see without jacking up...never had to deal with power steering before(last car was a 1987 Mazda 626, no power steering, much more fun)...perhaps near the end of the steering column?

Thanks

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
General issue with power steering leaks is from the reservoir to the pump or return line into the reservoir, basically leaked from factory floor. Last one I did was an o-ring which went into the pump beside the outlets, $2 item from Holden and a good degrease from around the pump and hoses.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I would be stoked if i put a car of that age in for rwc and thats all i got listed