Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Help with RWC "defects"

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
Im with Huntington on this one!

Mine came out with 17 rejected items and Id already done the big jobs like steering rack and front brakes.

I took my oil leak and had it steam cleaned and bolts tightened up and it was back to the rwc place within 2 days and that item was passed. Its only just started leaking again the last couple of weeks and my rwc was in october. So if its not a major leak, a steam clean of your engine will get you by.

I had other items like my bushes on the back were stuffed, side skirts loose,windscreen and the child booster seat in the back wasnt tethered in ( i just took it out the car).

My rejected items cost me a further $400 all up it cost me almost $3k to get this car all up to scratch.
If you shop around, some wreckers offer a fitting service for parts and it halves the cost compared to if you fitted new.

I found a good parts recycler/mechanic and he has pretty much rebuilt my car way cheaper than the mechanics/parts places local to me.

I also asked on here for recommended RWC testers who werent going to tear me a new one for the hell of it. I got a good place that was thorough enough but not overboard.

I think the other posters have been helpful. If you come on here and ask legitimately and don't whine like a princess, you will get some good advice.

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
General issue with power steering leaks is from the reservoir to the pump or return line into the reservoir, basically leaked from factory floor. Last one I did was an o-ring which went into the pump beside the outlets, $2 item from Holden and a good degrease from around the pump and hoses.

Thanks. Thats the only place we could see a leak too, just underneath the power steering fluid reservoir.

Only cost me $2,500 all up, but needed 4 tyres and of course these small problems.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
I would degrese the engine and bay than tire shine in there. Polish the headlights with autosol. And give it a full detail and hand polish. Oh and dont forget the tire shine. Than it will look mint and they will pass it works for me.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Sup,

List;
1) Power Steering oil leaks
2)Front strut boots broken
3)Left hand side tail light lens broken(there is a small dent on the very left side, as far forward as it goes...doesn't affect brake/tail lights at all)
4)LHS headlight faded(headlights still work fine on low and high beam I tested them out on the highway last night)
5)Headlights to be aimed(see above)
6)Muffler mounting rubbers broken(What cars aren't?)
7)ngine oil leak to be rectified + Engine to be cleaned + checked(rocker cover gaskets. only legit problem on the whole list. A clean engine isn't going to affect driveability)

1- depending how bad, degrease entire engine bay before getting it re inspected. if bad, replace pump with good second hand unit
2- replace
3-if it's a dent and not cracked then it should be ok, but some places will pass it others won't, you got failed on it so either replace or get it inspected elsewhere
4- bit of a cut and polish should bring it up nicely
5- depends on the inspector, either aim them, or take elsewhere (aiming them is free and a piece of piss)
6- fix muffler mounts, the rubbers are cheap as, no where will pass with those broken
7-do the rocker cover gaskets and the morning before re inspection, degrease the fk out of the entire bay.

this is what i would do and have done, i am not a mechanic tho, goodluck

oh and make sure your car is clean, i mean on the inside to, nothing would piss me off more as an inspector then getting in a dirty grubby car, it also makes it more looked after.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Ah the wonders of degreaser. Personally I prefer to use brake cleaner though. Don't have to hose it off.

With rwc, once it fails can you just take it elsewhere? If you're doing that, just cut the shock boots off. As above, many shocks don't have them and they're pointless.

If its an auto and leaking from the sump pan get yourself a filter kit and service the tranny. You'll thank yourself once you drive a freshly services one.

Everything on your list can be done yourself with very limited tools and experience. Just post up about the jobs and people can help you out if you don't know.

Here's how to do headlights properly.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/1347221
I've only ever had one out in vertical do I've put it square with the wall and bought it up level with the other one.

Last edited:

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
If you're doing that, just cut the shock boots off. As above, many shocks don't have them and they're pointless.

If its an auto and leaking from the sump pan get yourself a filter kit and service the tranny. You'll thank yourself once you drive a freshly services one.

I considered cutting them off for the time being, but since it's already inspected and it'll cost me $40 for 2 boots or $160+ for another roadworthy at a different place, might as well get them done. Do I need spring compressors to re-install the springs? Probably the only thing I don't have which will be a problem.

oh and make sure your car is clean, i mean on the inside to, nothing would piss me off more as an inspector then getting in a dirty grubby car, it also makes it more looked after.

The usual clear coat bubbles(which have popped) on the outside, got new tires and the dust has already stuck to them. The inspector is alright though, local bloke and being in the country I guess he would be a bit more lenient with cars as opposed to some blokes in the city.

Anybody know a place like "Pick a Part" in Melbourne/Bendigo where you take the parts from the cars yourself and then pay like $50-60 for whatever you can carry or a set fee for motors?(There is one in Perth in Kenwick, but I'm 3500km away, so that isn't much help).

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I was meaning if you doing it for other reasons. Ie oil leaks.

Yes you will need spring compressors to do the boot as you need to take the top hat off the shock. Head down to Repco or supercrap. There're not too expensive and worth having.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
yes that is a modest list of items, I needed engine mounts, new springs, new wheels, abs module + unit, reco upgraded tailshaft + flanges and more. The list you have provided is relatively minor. Shouldn't cost too much mate mine was over $2k. The trouble with going somewhere else is they can find more things.

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Anyway got the muffler mounting rubbers done, popped the clip off, cut the old ones off, pushed the new ones on. There were maybe 4 shallow cracks forming in one of the rubbers back there, none affecting the holding of the muffler. Only found 2, so I'm guessing there are 2 more required further up, towards the cat? Or is there 2 more hiding out of sight?

It poured today, and the right tail light filled with water, so going to have to replace that one too...

Repco and Supercheap didn't have the boots...so that may be a problem.

Guess the task for tomorrow is to jack the bastard up and see where the leak is coming from, assuming there is a leak.

Is a fair guess of $20-30 each for tail lights(2nd hand) and $30-50 for non-cloudy(2nd hand) head lights reasonable? Or should I be expecting more?

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
I bought my missus an excel. Took it for a roady. Too smokey, had to change the motor. *sigh*
And other stuff