Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VS V8 Distributor Purchase Recommendation

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Looks like I need to purchase a new distributor to cure an intermittent engine no-start problem with my wife's VS Clubsport. Coil and ignition module are in good condition. Was almost sure the problem was with the fuel pump. However, after replacing the pump, went to the service station fill up petrol (unfortunately just after the prices skyrocketed). Went to start the car afterwards, and it just went on cranking away without firing. Finally managed to get it started, which came as a surprise as I had visions of needing a tow truck again. After that episode it performed flawlessly and has started OK since. But the next failure is only a matter of time. Suspect it could be the HES, although the intermittent nature has me puzzled.

Has anyone purchased a VS V8 distributor recently that they would recommend? What was the brand and price? RAE and GOSS appear to be the more reputable brands.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the bosch ones for them were the best but now might be a bit hit and miss as there was issues with them for some time whether they are fixed now not sure, the other brands are a bit the same tho unfortunately could last forever or maby a couple years

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've had a Fuelmiser one for about 3 years now and have had no issues at all.

For the $150 I really couldn't fault it.

Just be mindful it could still be the ignition module, you can't visibly tell they are faulty and I've seen them die even at a few months old and can cause intermittent issues too. (mine would let me drive a few km then give up).

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just be mindful it could still be the ignition module, you can't visibly tell they are faulty and I've seen them die even at a few months old and can cause intermittent issues too. (mine would let me drive a few km then give up).

Thanks for your post, when I had the problem hard-on recently, I connected my spare module and it made no difference.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Check the brown wire at the coil negative terminal.
Mine was corroded and caused similar problems. You cant easily see it behind the head and so is difficult to check.
Best relocate the coil to the firewall.
Hidden behind the head was a totally stupid place that GM mounted it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your reply. The coil was already relocated some time ago, and all connections at both ends are OK.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Couldn't find a Fuelmiser available for purchase. Decided to go with an RAE brand as they are sold by both Repco and Bursons (not necessarily a good recommendation given the number of sub-standard components being sold these days).

Also looked at the GOSS brand, but their list of distributor "features" had me shaking my head:

1664264202678.png

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Couldn't find a Fuelmiser available for purchase. Decided to go with an RAE brand as they are sold by both Repco and Bursons (not necessarily a good recommendation given the number of sub-standard components being sold these days).

Also looked at the GOSS brand, but their list of distributor "features" had me shaking my head:

View attachment 242819
Let us know how u go please.?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just came across this thread on eBay. They have a good reputation too. Looks like a good distributor option to use, instead of installing a new "not-so-cheap" made-in-China version. Would have given this a try if I hadn't already purchased a replacement. FYI.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update on this thread. Decided not to replace the distributor immediately because it's such a bugger of a job. Instead, decided that I would wait until it failed again, so that I could positively determine that the cause was (or was not) the distributor. Lo and behold, it's been two months now without even looking like it's going to fail. Possibly the problem I had at the service station could have been caused by some junk in the tank that got stirred up during the pump replacement process. Anyway, fingers crossed!!!