Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Wheels

U2Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
I have a 2010 VE SV6 currently have the standard 18s.
I put 2 new tyres on last year and need to buy another lot again. Can't remember which were replaced last year front or back. But now i have to put 2 new tyres on the front as the have worn on the inside.

My spare tyre is just a plain ugly 16. Tyreright suggested if i don't want to pay for the low profile tyres (which cost me nearly $300 each) that i could get 4 plain 16" wheels.
I don't want the plan ugly rim, so was hoping to find some 16's that fit a ve. Question is now will a 2009 VE's 16s fit my 2010 VE SV6

Attachments

• $_20(1).JPG
    $_20(1).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 127
  • $_20(2).JPG
    $_20(2).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 125

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I have a 2010 VE SV6 currently have the standard 18s.
I put 2 new tyres on last year and need to buy another lot again. Can't remember which were replaced last year front or back. But now i have to put 2 new tyres on the front as the have worn on the inside.

My spare tyre is just a plain ugly 16. Tyreright suggested if i don't want to pay for the low profile tyres (which cost me nearly $300 each) that i could get 4 plain 16" wheels.
I don't want the plan ugly rim, so was hoping to find some 16's that fit a ve. Question is now will a 2009 VE's 16s fit my 2010 VE SV6

I don't see why they wouldn't. Brakes are the same size on all V6 models.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
For starters, you need to get a wheel alignment to sort the odd wear patterns you've mentioned. Putting 16s on won't fix this.

There are plenty of good tyres in 245/45x18 fitment well under $300. If you're in Sydney try these. they also ship and you just get them fitted locally.

Buy New Tyres|Tyres

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Question is now will a 2009 VE's 16s fit my 2010 VE SV6

Yes it would only be an issue on the front of an SSV or redline I believe.

But you don't need new wheels. Buy new 18s and get a bloody wheel alignment!!!!!!!! A $100 wheel alignment (4 wheel alignment) will save you $$$$$ on tyres

U2Bono

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
For all those who say get a wheel alignment. It had one when the tyres were put on, how many times do you need to do these over the life of the tyres.
It was tyreright (our only local tyre shop) who suggested i go with the dearer tyres as they would last longer.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It hasn't been done properly if the tyres are wearing unevenly. I'd suggest taking it to somebody else. They don't need a wheel alignment very often at all, unless you crash it/hit gutters or,replace suspension or steering parts such as shockers, springs, tie rod ends, steering rack etc. I've never had an alignment done on my vs and I still have the same front tyres I did over 2 years ago and there's still plenty of life in them with no uneven wear.

Those Achilles are really good tyres. I got them in 18's not long ago and I think they were around 130 each.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
For all those who say get a wheel alignment. It had one when the tyres were put on, how many times do you need to do these over the life of the tyres.
It was tyreright (our only local tyre shop) who suggested i go with the dearer tyres as they would last longer.

Depend on if it's done properly and how many kerbs you hit!! Just resting the front tyres on the kerb when you park WILL eventually affect your alignment.

The price of tyre don't mean $@#% look at the wear rating. Achilles have a high wear rating, provide plenty of grip and are cheap. I can't fault them on the Clubsport and my father even runs Achilles ATRs on his E3 GTS now

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Which tyre right store did you go to? Salisbury or Woodville? It does seem like you live in S.A

Dearer doesn't mean longer lasting......... you were fed a crock of crap....he was trying to boost his sales figures.

Alignments are recommended every 10,000 kilometres....yes, some cars and some people have them at different intervals, but that has always been a general guide....another guide is keep an eye on the tyre edges for signs of feathering...once the feathering begins, it's alignment time.

Yes I'm new on here, but I have been in the tyre trade in S.A for a fair few years, so I may be able to suggest a good place to go and get tyres done and a good alignment that doesn't cost the earth...(ala $100 alignment is a rip off around Adelaide)

Last edited: