Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with wiring this CB Radio

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Any more info on how to splice it into the cigarette lighter? i'll take some pics later if that helps.

So antenna needs to be HF or 27MHz. With the speaker i'll just get a little one to sit next to it.

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so. Test which is the ground by going to the continuity setting. Put probe in the plug. With the other probe touch a metal part of the car. If it beeps that is the ground (black) and the other is positive (red). Never assume the black wire is ground until you test it first.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
yep you need a proper aerial to suit a 27mHz radio.

to do it properly as well, the aerial will need to be 'swr'ed in. have to adjust the physical length to achieve proper signal.

good thing about these radio's are they are AM. one a clear night, with the right setup, you'll be able to talk to people 100's of kays away.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
the good old 27mhz cb. not many people use it these days. most people use UHF for local stuff.

most people on 27mhz are using side band, the radio you have does not have this. Its more used for long distance comms.

what is your reason for wanting one installed in your car?? I have both in my 4x4 but only reason i have the 27mhz is its built in to the uhf unit so handy when i go away and someone only has 27mhz.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
the good old 27mhz cb. not many people use it these days. most people use UHF for local stuff.

most people on 27mhz are using side band, the radio you have does not have this. Its more used for long distance comms.

what is your reason for wanting one installed in your car?? I have both in my 4x4 but only reason i have the 27mhz is its built in to the uhf unit so handy when i go away and someone only has 27mhz.

Would i be able to talk to anyone else who has a cb radio? Thats all the reason i need :) Plus i didn't want to throw it out, might as well put it to use.

Also i took some photos of my cigarette lighter. So just to confirm. I get myself a jigamebob and test each thingymajigy to find out which is the power? and connect that to the red connection on my radio and the black needs to be earthed (on the radio), is that right :idea:

Pics:

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

This thread is almost becoming a how to :)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Put a probe inside the plug and then one touching the body of the chassis. Switch to continuity mode (you will tell because if you put the probes together it will beep). Easiest way to find the earth. Or you can just put it on the chassis but if it becomes live for any reason watch out.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
It should have an inbuilt speaker on the underside. The socket on the back is for an extension speaker.

Just for reference, 23 channel CB's were avalible before 1982 when they went to 40 channels. So your radio would be around 30 or more years old.