Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help!

andy.182

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu s pack
i want to know if i can run a 12inch sub with 800w peak power and 2 kicker 6 inch 130w peak power off a head unit.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
1. I would highly think no, and would sound like crap anyways.

2. Read the forum rules.

3. Post this in the correct section.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Well skooby why dont you give him a break its his first post, and your answer not being actually definite doesnt help him. and where is the right section, this is car audio isnt it, he's asking a car audio question. I wouldnt think the rules prevent him asking a question like that and moreover i cant see a section that deals with speakers and subs run off headunit power.

Anyway andy welcome aboard, to answer your question yes you can, but it was a pioneer unit sold many years ago designed to run a woofer by bridging the rear ouputs. So in todays head units the answer is no. A cheap 2 channel amplifier and some wiring will set you back around 300 roughly.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
You need to quote RMS power, not max power. That doesnt really mean much.
In my rather limited experience most headunits output between 40-50 w max per channel, that could be maybe 15w rms?. you generally try to match the rms value of the speaker to the rms value of the amp/head deck.

Larger quality gear usually talk in rms values of wattage, for example my car has an amplifier with 4x 50w rms outputs. The box my speakers came out of state they have a power handling of 50-150w rms, therefore they are matched.

So to actually answer ur qn :idea:
Running 130w max speakers off a 50w max head deck will work, but they speakers will most probably be totally underpowered, and i've read this will kill them.
Dont even try to run the sub :p

You need a 4 channel amplifier, run the 6" off the front outputs, bridge the rears to run the sub.