Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help!!!

BLOWNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1 supercharge
hi all i own a vt ss v6 supercharge about a week ago i started some mods which i got my mechanic to do they include
- 10psi pully
- roller rockers
- thermostat
- twin high flow 3" cats into a 3" exhaust
i was told i would make 200rwkw which is understandable because i made 160rwkw with jus extrators i dynoed the car i made 166rwkw and 533nm of torque, i was told tha computer had to adjust unless i got a custom tune i decided to just let it adjust, two days after i got it back i got ma mate to install a cold air intake and a pod filter to make tha whine alot more noticable, on the way home the car started to feel really ruff while at the lights and it was driving really sh*t and was idleing like a 5ltr the car felt like a 5ltr and wen i hit boost it didnt do nothing, when revving it in Park it was really loud and sounded like ma mates vs ss, me and ma mates thought it was the o2 sensor so we changed them to no avail i took it back to the mmechanic and he said it was either a blown head gasket or a busted piston does this sound correct or am i been taken for a ride

sorry about writing so much just want to know what the problem is its really sh*iing me any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

thanks MATT..

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
hi all i own a vt ss v6 supercharge about a week ago i started some mods which i got my mechanic to do they include
- 10psi pully
- roller rockers
- thermostat
i was told i would make 200rwkw which is understandable because i made 160rwkw with jus extrators i dynoed the car i made 166rwkw and 533nm of torque, i was told tha computer had to adjust unless i got a custom tune i decided to just let it adjust, two days after i got it back i got ma mate to install a cold air intake and a pod filter to make tha whine alot more noticable, on the way home the car started to feel really ruff while at the lights and it was driving really sh*t and was idleing like a 5ltr the car felt like a 5ltr and wen i hit boost it didnt do nothing, when revving it in Park it was really loud and sounded like ma mates vs ss, me and ma mates thought it was the o2 sensor so we changed them to no avail i took it back to the mmechanic and he said it was either a blown head gasket or a busted piston does this sound correct or am i been taken for a ride

sorry about writing so much just want to know what the problem is its really sh*iing me any help or advise would be greatly appreciated

thanks MATT..

166rwkw from just extractors? sounds like a happy dyno. youre gonna need at least 17psi with an intercooler to make 200 from what ive read

BLOWNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1 supercharge
i duno man mayb its a freak from tha mods i no oof it only included extrators

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Take it a another mechanic to get a second opinion.

stock + extractors shouldn't make 166 rwkw, they are only 171kw standard and extractors apparently aren't the best power mod to start with.

As someone said on here a while ago, which may have been lost with the hosting move, all the components don't just add up to this many kilowatts. You have to think of it like exhaust helps the motor this much and, adding a smaller pulley adds more boost which helps get the most out of that exhaust system.

The all have to work together, optimally to make a motor put out power where you design it to!

It may be just a spark plug or lead, etc, if sounds like a rough idle.

BLOWNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S1 supercharge
yea was thinkin bout taking it somewhere else but getting it back tomoro anyway i know that just extrators shouldnt take me to 160rwkw but ive got the dyno results to prove it and another member on this forum watched the dyno run with me.

BOXY1

Reaction score
dyno results prove nothing, dynos are far to inaccurate, check the IT and AT values at the bottom of the graph, If these numbers are not similar, then you will get a higher reading on the dyno, but anyway this thread is not about your dyno reading. I also suggest getting a second oppinion.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
did u connect the sensor from the airbox, into your pod filter?

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
Sorry I didnt mean to come across as arrogant, ( I just reread my post)

I haven't dyno'd my car and don't know that much about dynos. How did it go anyway? Also if you have got your car running properly again, how does it feel? thats the most important.

I think there is only so much power that you can get from a vehicle but also, there is some sort of limit to how much you actually want and or use. I know that most of us will say as much as i can get/ afford and then maybe a little more. But personally, I don't want to be driving around in a turbo era f1 everyday! Some days yes, that would be fun.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
- 10psi pully
- roller rockers
- thermostat

thanks MATT..

I've owned turboed Subarus for the last 5 years (happily now the owner of a Commodore). From what you have described i'd be looking at the Air flow metre OR the knock sensor (thats if Hodlens run knock sensors that is). Failing that perhapes an actuator sticking open or vacum line leak somewhere or even a BOV leaking??

Last edited:

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
Sorry to rain on your parade mate, but I know for a fact that there is no way in the world you could have made 200RWKW with those few mods, I know lots of guys with the same mods (myself included) that all have around 200RWHP. Even after an intercooler and 17PSI pulley, you will need a custom tune to get those results. There is only one guy I know of that has got 202RWKW uncooled, and he has a very aggessive cam and head package. As for the noise, this might sound a bit daft but after putting the pod filter on did you re-install the MAF properly?