Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID conversion in Vx

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
oi ####tards, if HID'S are illegal why are there so many cars coming out FROM THE FACTORY WITH REFLECTOR HEADLIGHTS WITH HID'S?
they are not illegal in any which way the only lights that are illegal is any colour that is not white the yellow of headlights and the bluey purple of hid's

You do realise you can get yellow-ish coloured HID's, right...?

Please name 5 of these cars with reflector lamps and HID's.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
You do realise you can get yellow-ish coloured HID's, right...?

Please name 5 of these cars with reflector lamps and HID's.

Some mercs come factory with reflector lamps and HID's. Got stuck in front of one the other day couldn't see anything.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
I fkn love these "HID" threads.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
oi ####tards, if HID'S are illegal why are there so many cars coming out FROM THE FACTORY WITH REFLECTOR HEADLIGHTS WITH HID'S?
they are not illegal in any which way the only lights that are illegal is any colour that is not white the yellow of headlights and the bluey purple of hid's

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Be silent.

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
7cb4c0f5-2a70-04bf.jpg
I'm sorry, I had to.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Halogen lamps and their globes must comply with ADRs 46 and 51, while HID lamps and their globes must comply with a different set of requirements within ADRs 77 and 78.

Interchanging globe types (such as putting HID globes into a lamp designed for a halogen globe) prevents continued compliance of the lamp/globe assembly, making it illegal.

Note that the ADRs do not actually mention projector lamps, but they are very specific on the light patterns provided by the lights, so it is possible that a correctly designed reflector headlamp could use a HID globe, like the Mercedes mentioned above. I am only saying it may be possible, but I dont think its likely.

I'd say it was just a kit like the commodores use, in a normal headlight, which is why it bothered wraith.

The reflector headlamps on commodores and virtually any mainstream car on the market are definitely not designed for HIDs. Commodores fitted with projection lamps are.

Also, ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens have a self-levelling system and headlight washers. Adding HID globes doesn’t provide these features and are therefore illegal for road use.

VX21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina s1
okay here we go.....i had 10,000k HID's in my vx for a couple of weeks, they were cool at first but after a while i started to hate them, the distance was shocking! before those i had crystal vision phillips 4300k which were pretty good, since then i went and got some diamond vision 5000k h4 and h3's for my foggies too and they give that euro look without blinding everyone! plus they have a much better range! not as good as the +100's but you get the white/blue look!
you can get a set of them off ebay for $50 bucks, never buy them from autobarn unless you want to spend 150 a pop!

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
if your headlights don't comply with this then it's not ADR and illegal

these threads are boring.....

/

HL.JPG

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Sorry to hijac the thread....this will probably get some haters but how hard would it be to convert just the high beam ( H1 ) on a vt to 6000k hid's??? is there much involved in installing the ballasts etc???

I dont want them on low just for when im driving all the way home at night ( live in country) just want some brighter whiter light.

I have some white/bluey halogens at the moment and they are good but would just like something a bit brighter on the high beams. Is it possible/ easy?? or will it be illegal also due to the gas and fogging lenses etc.

Cheers