Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID Kits of eBay

tetma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cailais Supercharged 6
Hello,

Has anyone purchased and installed a HID Light system? Any advice or issues?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Search Mate. Plenty of threads about this topic. Why sign up and immediately post a one line thread without even searching. Okay, now I have said my piece, I will give you some advice.

I have been researching HID's for quite some time. There are many misconceptions and many different thoughts about whats best and whats not.

The best site and customer service to go to for HID is; EZIHID - HID Conversion Kits, Globes, All In One Kits, HID Lights Perth Western Australia, HID KitsAftermarket headlights Sydney Western Australia, Hid xenon kits Sydney, Hid xenon kits Sydney nsw, Hid xenon kits Sydney Western Australia, Hid convers

These may cost a little more than ebay items, but if you have any issues, you know the customer service is there to help. If any issues arise with faulty parts, all this gentleman at ezihid needs is a pic of the item with the cords cut eg faulty ballasts, and then a replacement will be sent. I have been dealing with Len and Ezihid and have just ordered my HID Kit for low beam on my VZ Calais which has projector H11 lights like yours. I ordered H11 6000k 35w standard size ballasts.

Many people will say go with 50w kit. But these are far too bright for town driving and there is no need. Other people will say go for lower or higher than 6000k. This number is the colour temp rating. 4300k is a white to yellowish light. 6000k is a white to blueish light, and anything above 6000k such as 8000k and 10000k is dumb. The light given off at these higher colour temps are near purple and produce less usable light.

The reason I went for 6000k is that if you go for 4300k which is the other popular choice, the reflections seem to be too intense on road signs. 6000k is still bright but the reflections are slightly less intense and the light output between the two colour temps is only about 7% lower on the 6000k. But bear in mind, a set of 6000k 35w HIDs are 3 times brighter than a normal 55w halogen globe. The 50w kit is 5 times brighter but unless you only use on a farm, they can be dangerous for oncoming motorists due to the brightness and especially if you load the car up and the lights point up a little.

So the final say for me is buy from Len at Ezihid and buy a 35w 6000k H11 kit for low beam, and if you want high beam, then go for 50w 6000k H9 kit.

Regards
Matt

PS: Search mate before jumping in and asking questions which have been answered many many times before. Many people consistently do this and it becomes boring.

tetma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cailais Supercharged 6
Thanks a lot mate.

Sorry but I guess i am just excited to get my new car.

One last question are these illegal?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Thanks a lot mate.

Sorry but I guess i am just excited to get my new car.

One last question are these illegal?

Unless your car comes with HID's from factory, then no its not legal. But nor are many other things like dark tint and super low vehicles etc etc.

ruffiano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Philips do a great range of Halogen globes right up to 6000K (Philips DiamondVision) for a fraction of the cost. In Victoria however 4200K is the brightest you can go legally, but seriously, if you can tell the difference between 4200K (Philips Plus 80%) and 4300K (Philips CrystalVision) with the naked eye, you're better than I. I run Philips CrystalVision for low and high beams and they cost me $96 a pair for the globes.

machete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
get the HID kit, you will wonder why you didnt sooner, i ran 6000K 35 H11 low beams in my vz clubsport and they were beautiful, since the perth hail storm wrote it off iv got a lancruiser as a daily and run 3x HID kits, hi beam low beam and spotties and light up about 1km down the road, looks like daylight when your driving in pitch black

go the HID :D

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
I took mine out, i was just sick getting flashed by every person i drove past at night.

hahaha true that!!!...

but yeh i got a set of HID's and wouldn't ever go back... the normal (unprojected) headlight lenses apparently don't focus the light properly, which can be bad for other drivers, but the projected ones are fine as far as i know