Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hidden audio amp in the VE's

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Yup i believe your right there, only the CalaisV & SSV. I have the Calais and installed my own amp where the spare tyre use to be with the 10" sub in the boot area.

HSVs have the amp from factory too. My gain is set at MAXIMUM and it sounds decent for a factory system. I just control levels on the JU to fight distortion.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
HSVs have the amp from factory too. My gain is set at MAXIMUM and it sounds decent for a factory system. I just control levels on the JU to fight distortion.

To set the gain PROPERLY, start with gain turned down to MINIMUM, then turn the volume up to around 80%, with all EQ settings on the head unit switched off - no equalization. From there, turn the gain up until you hear any indication of speaker distortion. Turn the gain back down below where you first heard the distortion with some extra room for different music types etc.

Gain has nothing to do with how much power the amp makes, it just changes how fast the amp produces its maximum power. With gain set to maximum its almost like having just two options on your accelerator: stop and go.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Pffft... Whatever works for you.

Like I said, gain to maximum and use the Head Unit levels to eliminate distortion. Works for me and sounds fine. But I only ever have the stereo on when on the Highway. Around town, I prefer the sound of the car! :D

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Pffft... Whatever works for you.

Like I said, gain to maximum and use the Head Unit levels to eliminate distortion. Works for me and sounds fine. But I only ever have the stereo on when on the Highway. Around town, I prefer the sound of the car! :D

Just letting people know the right way to do it :p

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
To set the gain PROPERLY, start with gain turned down to MINIMUM, then turn the volume up to around 80%, with all EQ settings on the head unit switched off - no equalization. From there, turn the gain up until you hear any indication of speaker distortion. Turn the gain back down below where you first heard the distortion with some extra room for different music types etc.

Gain has nothing to do with how much power the amp makes, it just changes how fast the amp produces its maximum power. With gain set to maximum its almost like having just two options on your accelerator: stop and go.
spot on mate :thumbsup:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
i am pretty sure its only the CalaisV and the SSV
they are the ones with the premium sound system...the 11speaker one

i know the SS definately doesnt have an amp as heaps of guys on the cruise on sunday with SS said they dont have em

the amp is only for the subs on the rear parcel shelf...so if you have the subs you should have the amp

Well I'm so going out to have a look when I get my lunch break! If it is there I'll let you all know.

Lets see what they put in the Calais for me to toy with!!! lol

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Its not in the Calais mate. I had a Calais before the Clubby. It is only the Calais V and SSV that get it.

All the HSVs get it though. Weird though cause the Clubby is based on the Calais, has the extra sound system, no auto up on the windows and no electric slide on the seats.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
My Clubby one is. Grange has the BOSE ala Caprice.