Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High beam fuse problem

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
My highbeam stopped working. Lights weren't on at the time. I located the fuse but it won't come out. Something is melted. Any tips on getting the fuse out without destroying the fuse holder and then fixing it so it doesn't happen again? Haven't changed any headlight bulbs in years and no probs up to now.
Cheers to everyone.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
My highbeam stopped working. Lights weren't on at the time. I located the fuse but it won't come out. Something is melted. Any tips on getting the fuse out without destroying the fuse holder and then fixing it so it doesn't happen again? Haven't changed any headlight bulbs in years and no probs up to now.
Cheers to everyone.
Looks like a short in the wiring between the fuse and the light. If the lights weren't on it's probably a chaffed wire you need to look for.

Have you tried the traditional method of spraying the fuse liberally with WD40 before attempting removal?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks for the reply Mike. However I doubt that it's a short. More likely that the contacts on the fuse and holder have corroded and created resistance and therefore heat.
I've put in a free standing fuse holder and lights are working again. Fingers crossed it's all good.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If the lights are working again
you're right. You're high beams should be a lot brighter with that resistance out of the circuit.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I will see when I do a night time drive. I hope so.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
check the wattage of the high beam globe, sometimes a higher watt is put in to see better but the wiring/fuse box wasnt designed for the added load and it heats up to the point of melting

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Check for water leaks in cabin also.
Moisture below fuse box. Buy those flat sponges and put under mats to soak it up .

Also clean contact including in relay box in engine bay and possibly lube to encourage lower resistance.

I had this issue back in 07 before the mild restoration when loads of water was leaking into cabin.

We've had alot of rain lately.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hope you fixed it but if the lights weren't on what caused the current flow that melted the fuse?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I've only done a few short night time drives and haven't been out on the open road so only briefly using high beam. The headlights do seem brighter on high beam though. I've had the same bulbs in for over 10 years and I forget what power they are.