Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High flow cats ? Sizes? Make a sound difference?? I need advice.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
F1 cars are 1.6L turbo 90 degree v6's.

Friday night...fueled with grog and ready to type...the keyboard warrior!
Did you read the first part of the wiki page that you probably just googled before you response?
Formula One engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

once again...we're heading to another f'ed up VE thread because someone questions (trolls) another member (who just happens to be our JC exhaust guy...of 20+ years experience...aren't you only 20 or so years old?) in a thread about V8 cats...good work...

Last edited:

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
Did you read the first part of the wiki page that you probably just googled before you response?

once again...we're heading to another f'ed up VE thread because someone questions (trolls) another member (who just happens to be our JC exhaust guy...of 20+ years experience...aren't you only 20 or so years old?) in a thread about V8 cats...good work...

Without going more off topic, aren't you (and me by extension) just adding to the apparent "troll" by commenting more about his crap?

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore

I KNOW for a fact abba is a very smart person when it comes to what he does so I asked him a question, and I stated what f1 cars are powered by to my knowledge, I'm 20 he's obviously been doing what he does a lot longer then I've even been around, I know my place when someone proves their worth and just by seeing Abbas posts he's done that twice over! Something your yet to do. Problem JR? Message me.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
OP grab your best set of headphones and come for a bumble around the rumble: Four seasons of the Black Pearl

[video=youtube_share;iAqNOVsxzNo]http://youtu.be/iAqNOVsxzNo[/video]

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
OP grab your best set of headphones and come for a bumble around the rumble: Four seasons of the Black Pearl

[video=youtube_share;iAqNOVsxzNo]http://youtu.be/iAqNOVsxzNo[/video]

Best sounding holden I've ever ever heard pirate! Did you make the decisions to swap and modify things?

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I KNOW for a fact abba is a very smart person when it comes to what he does so I asked him a question, and I stated what f1 cars are powered by to my knowledge, I'm 20 he's obviously been doing what he does a lot longer then I've even been around, I know my place when someone proves their worth and just by seeing Abbas posts he's done that twice over! Something your yet to do. Problem JR? Message me.

Apologises Michael, I took your post as a statement not a question (no question mark)
I only piped up as this thread was pretty interesting; an exhaust thread without crap posts in it and not on 'how big should my exhaust be'
(ironically, I've now added to this thread having crap post in it :( )

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Best sounding holden I've ever ever heard pirate! Did you make the decisions to swap and modify things?

Yeah thanks, fairly sure nobody else has anywhere near the same. All up the best headers, complete custom 304 stainless system catback with active HSV Bi-Modals cost under $2000 fitted. For the life of me I can't work out why anyone would pay more, but still listening!

I used Larry Meaux's PipeMax software to actually model the calculations and tune the final specification, but most concepts I gleaned from reading GM High Tech Performance and race engineering sites. PipeMax only costs $75 and I highly recommend it.

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Apologises Michael, I took your post as a statement not a question (no question mark)
I only piped up as this thread was pretty interesting; an exhaust thread without crap posts in it and not on 'how big should my exhaust be'
(ironically, I've now added to this thread having crap post in it :( )

No worries mate sorry about the rude reply, had a **** morning. I should have punctuated properly anyway, haha. This is a hobby for a lot of people last thing I want to do is make a bad name for myself and discourage newbies from this site! I thought f1 were always v6's but upon seeing the history section on wiki... Wow pretty cool assortment of types and sizes!

Last edited:

Michael-08-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Yeah thanks, fairly sure nobody else has anywhere near the same. All up the best headers, complete custom 304 stainless system catback with active HSV Bi-Modals cost under $2000 fitted. For the life of me I can't work out why anyone would pay more, but still listening!

I used Larry Meaux's PipeMax software to actually model the calculations and tune the final specification, but most concepts I gleaned from reading GM High Tech Performance and race engineering sites. PipeMax only costs $75 and I highly recommend it.

I'm glad to see there are people like you and me (I still have ALOT to learn) that would rather make things and experiment instead of throwing money at people to do it for us.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I toyed with 100% custom applications for each individual car, but people are just not willing to pay for that type of work. I do the odd custom job, but it's only when people want something different.

You did your fab work yourself though didn't you PIR4TE? As an example, the custom headers I made for the LS1 in the VC took me a day and a half. At $80 an hour, that's $960 just in labour, add ~$500 for materials. When you can buy an off the shelf set for $700-$800, the extra 10 or so hp for almost double the price doesn't seem worth it to most people.