Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Fuel Pressure - Bad Fuel Economy?

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
My appologies hako,sorry for taking the **** out of you.Well like i mentioned before the only good way to measure fuel pressure is on the supply line not the return,the return side doesnt do anything really.The excess fuel just goes back into the tank.

Ok kopper,im a mechanic thats what i do is stuff around with cars 5 to 6 days a week and sometimes 7 days depending if my mates need work done or of my own cars.

At work we do alot of fuel system diagnosis and repairs and fix's.We use a pressure/flow gauge by coda systems(very good hardware),it is a fuel testing kit with a seperate vaccum gauge and other fittings to suit many cars/also special little tools to help release fuel line clamps.The range on the flow rate is from 0 L to 3.0L per minute and the pressure gauge goes as high as 900kPA off hand could be 800kPa.This set up is worth roughly around a few hundred dollars or maybe even over a grand.This hardware is very handy/makes diagnosing fuel problems simple and produces alot of work.:)

For example on a VT V6 commodore,when checking the fuel pressure we disconnect the fuel line (supply side,on the drivers side in the engine bay beside the brake booster you will need a special tool to help release the fuel hose clamp,dont disconnect the fuel hose that comes off the fuel reg/disconnect the one that goes straight onto the fuel rail),and connect in between the fuel line with the fuel gauge and suited fittings,once that is all connected then you can start the engine,but before this happens just cycle the key to see how much pressure the pump supplys on prime up.Then just take note of it.
Then you start the engine and observe the pressure at idle and the flow rate (all in one gauge holder setup).Like i mentioned before a sufficient supply of fuel pressure regulated should be around 240 to 280kPa,if any less or anymore i would suggest further inspection of the fuel system.
Then next i would check the pinch pressure which is to test the high pressure of the fuel pump.You pinch the fuel supply after the fuel gauge and you only pinch this quiet quickly to prevent any damage to the fuel pump,if it goes to or above 600kPa then it is working fine but if it only goes to 300 or even 400kPa i would say you have a problem in the fuel pump and would need to be overhauled or simply replaced.
Now to check for leakdown of the fuel pump turn the engine off and then pinch or crimp the flow out of the fuel gauge so that he gauge is set in the fuel rail and is holding pressure between the gauge and the fuel pump and observe the rate at which the fuel pressure falls.If it falss quick then (hard starting)i would suggest the relief in the pump is faulty and suggest pump replacement.
Now to test the injectors same scenareo,but instead of blocking the flow out side of the fuel gauge do the opposite and crimp the flow in from the fuel pump and take note of the fuel pressure.Injectors will leak slowly.Ok you must be wondering about the fuel reg,well the fuel reg is on the same side of the injectors when doing this test,but a fuel reg would either work or not work (fail).
Well thats just a breif of this fuel system diagnosis for now.I can get into it even deeper,becomes more complicated.I hope you understand what i mean,if you dont just ask away.
Also on some fuel systems for example holden rodeos (petrol)when you have a fuel gauge setup on one and wanted to check the prime pressure and there isnt any,remember that they get pressure whilst cranking.
If you guys want to know about anything else other than fuel systems,like ignition,brakes suspension and whateverelse dont hesitate and just ask us.

Once again my appologies to hako,am very sorry mate.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
No worries KRUPTD - thanks for the apology which means a lot....and thanks also Kopper69 for the vote of confidence.:thumbsup:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
nice, KRUPTD, maybe start a new thread with all the info on how to check the fuel system. add some pics and maybe a mod can post it in the howto section.

your flow test is based on a closed system under pressure. what sort of flow would you expect if you dropped the fuel line before the fuel rail and run the line straight into a container? (free flow) this is possibly the only real test a home mechanic can do without needing to purchase pressure and flow gauges as you use in your workshop

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
Your right there immortality,for a home mechanic or (weekend warrior) that is a good way to test the flow rate of the fuel pump.But you will have to bridge the fuel pump relay to get the pump to work.Yeah just disconnect the fuel supply hose near the fuel filter and put it into a measuring bucket or jug and bridge the fuel pump relay and let it pump for a minute then check/measure the contents of the jug..should work a treat :)
Also by testing the fuel flow rate this way is the same as if you had the flow/pressure gauge setup.Your testing the flow (output) of the fuel pump either way you will end up with the same answer.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
immortality, KRUPTD - great work. Really like the sound of that. Im sure that my fuel system is working ok, but would like to give this test a go. Im guessing that when you disconnect the fuel line there is going to be petrol slowly 'leaking' from the tank through the pump, would this be much -ie would it affect your result if it took you a minute to get to the relay to activate the pump? As there is no back pressure for the pump to work against, would there be more fuel flowing than normal making the DIY test inaccurate?

KRUPTD, the gregorys recommends depressuring the fuel system before you work on it. Do you do this? Do you find this necessary?

Dont know if you want to drop your work details/address in case anyone is local and interested in having their fuel system tested? If you were local to me I would be interested.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont worry too much about letting the pressure out of the fuel system i loosen the filler cap (fuel),let the pressure from the fuel tank disperse.Then when you loosen the fuel hose wherever you decide to go just remove it slowly and dont face the fuel spray at you.There should only be alittle amount of fuel spray pressure i always use my saftey squint technic lol.
Also once you have disconnected the fuel line only a small amount of fuel will come out and then will stop,because of letting the pressure in the fuel tank out to prevent gravity feeding the fuel through,but there are some makes of cars that still gravity feed even if you have depressured the fuel tank by removing the filler cap.
But yeah only a very minimal amount of fuel will come out and wont affect your fuel pump test.:)
Also another thing i can mention if you scared about abit of fuel spray on your hands just remove the fuel pump fuse or relay and start the engine and let it idle till it stall then you can remove the fuel hose with ease.Or on some model cars you can depresse the valve fitting in the fuel rail,just makesure you cover with a rag whilst depressing the valve to prevent spray onto you and the engine bay.
As for my work details,i live in Griffith NSW (Jeff Johnson Automotive)

sheded_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais v6, VN Exec on nitrous budget skid car
sorry to thread dig guys but i found this information very helpfull, i currently have a vn v6 wagon i cant get to start, i checked fuel pressure and flow as per KRUPTD's instructions, at turn of the key im getting around 40 psi fuel pressure at the line in the engine bay, i also measured the flow rate from here, returning 1.8l per minute, so i pressume fuel is not my issue although a little low on fuel flow, i have checked for spark and it seems like its all good when taking a plug out and turning the car over, whats got me stumped is the oil light seems to stay on all the time, i have tried bridging the wires on the oil pressure switch plug which then causes the fuel pump to run constantly, when i spray fuel in the throttle body the car seems to want to start so im pressuming fuel is still my issue, any ideas KRUPTD? or anyone else, car has been sitting for around 18 months and i purchased the car not running, i am going to try replacing the oil pressure switch and also before anyone asks yes i have checked the oil and its fine, cheers for any help you guys can give me!