Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High pitched whining noise coming from Engine Bay

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok, my dad ended up fixing it. He just greased up a pully thing... (don't know ive been drinkin, ill ask him in the morrow) and now the noise has stopped!
So its been all good, but it never impacted on performance.

003KWK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Mine does the same kind of thing, except it's just a bad earth and a whine coming through the radio :p

When I have people in the car I tell them it's the supercharger, haha.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
depends on what type of whine it is, there is many things it could be
for example if it happpens while accelerating it could be your differential do you hang burnouts and do doughies in the local car park??????
also as someone else has mentioned could be many of these
split vacuum hose.
failed diode in alternator.
noisy steering pump.
dry idler bearing's.

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
Anyone able to pin point what their problems were ?

I also have a high whine like a gushing noise when accelerating.

I have to replace the pulley tensioner today and going to replace the idler pulley's as well so I am hoping it is one of these 3 and not the harmonic,water pump or air con. s

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
Sounds like it might be a supercharger, would need to have a closer look.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Mine sounded like this. Well like a supercharger an changed the $29 ideler pully and is good now noise has gone

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
After replacing thefan belt, 2 idler and 1 tensioner pulleys I have not noticed the noise that I had and even the rattle from the old tensioner pulley has gone ha :).

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
I have the same thing. the way i describe the high pitch sound is like when you have an old style TV or computer monitor. Its extremely high pitched. Electrical high pitched where as when the idler pulley bearings etc are noisy they sound something like a supercharger sort of. The bad thing for me is i think I have a noisy Power steering pump, noisy idler pulleys and a noisy Auto tranny (Hydraulic sound but only faint) Ive lost about 10% power (I think) then on top of all that there's this high pitch sound. When I say high pitched it like a Dog whistle type thing. Its yeah like a old CRT TV or monitor that is buggered. I am suspecting the alternator. It is putting out good voltage 14.3v when idling or higher RPM. 12.5 when engine is off and 10.1 while cranking. Im not sure what to make of it and I dont have money for mechanics and Sparky's. Realistically I shouldn't even own my Calais as I dont even have a job at the moment. I dunno what I am going to do. So any help from anybody will be soooooo... Appreciated. I mean Im beggin' ya's. If somebody has heard of this almost electrical sounding high pitch sound and knows how to fix it then please let me know. P.S. Its not there all the time, but having the stereo on (for me) makes no diff at all. At first I used to think it was coming through the stereo but even when I switch it off I can still hear it, and its not in sync with the Revs. however the idler pulley and Power steer pump is in Sync with RPM's. So yeah PLEASE HELP!!! :-S