Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hissing or Grinding sound coming from water pump and batt light on at the same time

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Hi guys, can someone please help me? I got a vx v6. yesterday, as i was driving home my battery light activate but still manage to get home. when i get off the car while the engine is on i noticed a hissing or grinding sound. i turned it off and let it rest for about 4hrs. and then start it again but still the same. what i did next is removed the drive belt and start the engine for a very short period of time(5 secs) and the sound extinguished. it turned out that the noise is coming from the water pump. my question is, is having a faulty water pump will activate my battery light on? really need anybodys help as it's a family car. thanks in advance.

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Are you sure the noise is coming from your water pump and not from your alternator? I'm sure the same drive belt turns your water pump as well as your alternator. Taking off your drive belt would also stop turning your alternator which kind of defeats the diagnosis. Your battery light coming on would suggest your alternator and battery should be looked at first - use a multimeter to check the battery voltage and charging voltage. Once thats fixed, then check again if the same noise is still there and if it is, then maybe look at your water pump.

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
Are you sure the noise is coming from your water pump and not from your alternator? I'm sure the same drive belt turns your water pump as well as your alternator. Taking off your drive belt would also stop turning your alternator which kind of defeats the diagnosis. Your battery light coming on would suggest your alternator and battery should be looked at first - use a multimeter to check the battery voltage and charging voltage. Once thats fixed, then check again if the same noise is still there and if it is, then maybe look at your water pump.

Yes mate, i'm sure that the noise is coming from the water pump, coz after i removed the drivebelt, i spin the water pump pulley with my hand and the sound is really bad. i'm just surprised why this problem with the water pump noise and battery light happened at the same time? Is there a fuse for the alternator or battery that might blown to make the batt light on? thanks for your response.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
replace the water pump, the GMC ones from Super cheap are OK, made in Japan. Make sure you use loctite sealant on the big bolts as they go into the water jacket of the block, threads need to be dry for this.
Take the regulator out of your alternator (disconnect battery first) and see what the brushes look like, if there worn out get sme new ones and solder them in. With the regulator out spin the laternator and feel the bearings and listen for any noise, you can if they sound OK just replace them anyway, take the rotor to an auto elec and get new bearings put on if you can't do it and get the brushes, this would only cost you about $50 instead of $200 for an exchange as it's usually the bushes or bearings not much else goes wrong.

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
ok, i checked the back of the alternator last night and i notice that the black plastic shield of the B+ output where the lead is connected, was a bit melted. it almost cover the side of the nut. and the nut have a bit of white powder on it. will this cause the problem?

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Possibly. Try cleaning the contacts and reconnecting the leads. Then check your charging voltage with the car running. If its not between 13.5 to 14.5V, your regulators are stuffed. To change the regulators, take out the alternator and it will require a little dismantling of the regulator. Good news is when you buy a new regulator, it comes with a new set of carbon brushes.

xeanerix20

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Spac
thanks mate. i will try to check it this weekend and see what happens.