Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Cruze - Limp Mode

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Yeah yeah, it's not a Commodore but it's a Holden so I figured someone might know something.

I recently purchased my fiancee a 2nd hand, manual 2009 Holden Cruze Diesel.

She's had it for 6 weeks and during that time, no issues, runs great and we've happy as Larry.

But in the last 2 weeks it's shown a code 82 four or so times. It was coming up on it's 90,000km service so I booked that in for the end of the month, cleared the code and moved on.

However, last Saturday I was picking her up from work and after about 3min of driving the car popped the 82 Code, also displayed the MIL (solid not flashing) and went into limp mode.

No other warning lights etc displayed.

I tried clearing the 82 code and also disconnecting the battery but the car is still in limp mode.

Isn't running rough, there is no smoke coming out the back, the DPF light is not on.

Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Not too sure about the cruze, but we've got Mitsubishi mini buses of the same vintage, and on short low speed trips(under 90kph) , they store carbon in the DPF and then burn it off when you get about 90kph for 10 minutes. If this doesn't happen you need to run them at fast idle for 10 minute for them to de-carbon. If you don't they throw op a code and go into limp mode. Like I said though, I don't know if they're the same.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Pretty much on the ball mate!

Got an answer from the dealer.

Basically the car has an automatic regen system that runs when there is too much buildup. BUT, the system does switch on if the oil needs replacing.

So as you said, the DPF became too clogged, the car detected this and went into limp home. Change of oil, manual regen and it's good as new.