Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Service

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
Hey my cars had 1 rear shock replaced by holden under warranty and 3 weeks later it seems to be leaking :bang: its bad enuff they didnt even bother replacing the pair of them since before i took it too them i told them 1 is rooted and the 2nd 1 is almost rooted, they left the almost rooted 1 and replaced the 1 thats already gone, apparently something has to completely fail before they'll replace it under warranty, so why is my brand new shock obsorber dripping fluid!

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Are you sure it is the shocker leaking, I have just changed from having my VX SS serviced at Holden to having it done at a local workshop (which is an LS1 performance shop), I was under it the other day and I noticed that where there were rubber bushes ie: for instance the shocker mounts they have sprayed them with some type of lubricant, I assume to stop squeaks and lubricate the rubber bushes, so looking at the shocker mounts they appear to be wet or damp but it is only what ever it is they have sprayed on them, I would imagine a silicone spray or rubber grease. Maybe Holden have done something similiar. Maybe give them a wipe and see how they go.

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
No its definately the shock its red fluid leaking in a small puddle, it mite be because it was up on a hoist a few days ago gettin a catback fitted and when i picked it up it was sitting 4x4 spec frombeing on the hoist till the suspension settled back down maybe thats why it leaked some out?

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
You have nothing to lose by returning to the Holden dealer and showing them the leaking shock. The shock should be covered under Holden warranty so there is no reason why they shouldnt replace it, unless something happened when you had the catback fitted.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
You have nothing to lose by returning to the Holden dealer and showing them the leaking shock. The shock should be covered under Holden warranty so there is no reason why they shouldnt replace it, unless something happened when you had the catback fitted.
It may not be covered if this is correct.

No its definately the shock its red fluid leaking in a small puddle, it mite be because it was up on a hoist a few days ago gettin a catback fitted and when i picked it up it was sitting 4x4 spec frombeing on the hoist till the suspension settled back down maybe thats why it leaked some out?

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
why wont it be covered? cos i had a catback put on? i doubt they would have damaged the shock when the zorst was fitted it would be pretty hard to manage that! I hope the catback doesnt void my warranty the reason i didnt get headers and otrcai was for that reason i figured the catback was too petty for them to kick up a fuss over

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
Well i hate to be an incovenience to anyone by asking another question but how much would a pair of rear shocks cost fitted from a place like pedders or dunlop just the generic replacement for the vx ss shocks which i dont know what the factory fitted shocks on the vx ss are?...

trity7

Reaction score
Members Ride
soon to be VS 5lt Ute
i was also thinking the same thing - why get original holden shocks put on ya car anyway? is it just purely to do with warranty? if it isn't i'd be tempted to go to a suspension joint and get some quality shocks put on

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
I was quoted $280 two days ago to have my wagon shocks done at a place near me (price includes the shock absorbers plus fitting). I can't imagine the VX being much different. The price was for Monroe shocks.

mike_is_bored316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS SERIES II
i was also thinking the same thing - why get original holden shocks put on ya car anyway? is it just purely to do with warranty? if it isn't i'd be tempted to go to a suspension joint and get some quality shocks put on

its the warranty! i forked out $16k for a 2001 SII vx ss with 150,000 on the clockwith a 3 year or 175,000 warranty i want to try and get as much value for my $$ worth of repairs out of it as i can since without it i wouldnt have paid more than 14,500for the car, So far theyve replaced the radiator with a brand new 1 cos it was leaking from the trans cooler lines, replaced an oil pressure switch and some Z sway bars or some **** and 1 rear shock, only 1, and that 1 seems to have been damaged by getting a zorst fitted or holden used a dodgey 2nd hand 1 cos it has a gash in the shape of an almost smiley mouth across the rubber at the top where it pissed out a puddle of fluid!